Have BadMonkey. Now I need heavier pedal but not too heavy!

skier4467

• Members

Hi I play blues, rock, and funk with a humbucker equipped semi-hollowbody into a Fender Blues Jr tube amp. I have a Bad Monkey which I love for my blues leads. Using my guitar's volume knobs and a volume pedal and the tube amp I can get a lot of sounds.

Now I desire a pedal that is heavier (a non-TS9 overdrive or some light distortion pedal) for more of a rock sound. I need this pedal to be set so I can play single notes AND chunky chords that are a whole Rock level higher than my BadMonkey. Note: I don't play metal or punk!!

What do you suggest for under $150?

I've already tried:

• Members

I recently purchased a metal muff with boost.

The boost strangely enough is my turnoff (harsh freq)

but comes with 3 great eq knobs. My gain ranges from 9-1 clockwise.

For a metal pedal, it can behave silently.

I know you tried the pocket muff, but it has limitations with its eq.

• Members

Nady TD-1. I use it with a Russian Big Muff and Bad Monkey. I recently picked up a DOD FX100, which is like a Bad Monkey but can dial in more crunch and can be as or more clean than the Monkey. Doesn't boost mids like the Monkey so YMMV. The Nady is a nice unit. I could lose the Monkey/DOD but the TD-1 and Muff are keepers.

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=&uzc=&command=link--ntd1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-TD1-Tube-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150100

• Members
Hi I play blues, rock, and funk with a humbucker equipped semi-hollowbody into a Fender Blues Jr tube amp. I have a Bad Monkey which I love for my blues leads. Using my guitar's volume knobs and a volume pedal and the tube amp I can get a lot of sounds.

Now I desire a pedal that is heavier (a non-TS9 overdrive or some light distortion pedal) for more of a rock sound. I need this pedal to be set so I can play single notes AND chunky chords that are a whole Rock level higher than my BadMonkey. Note: I don't play metal or punk!!

What do you suggest for under $150?

I've already tried:

• Members

DS1 with Monte Allums Tri Gain mod. I found that to be EXACTLY what I needed in terms of a versatile distortion that can go from being a nice crunchy blues overdrive (with the clipping switch turned off and the gain at 9:00) all the way up to a heavy drive (with the clipping switch on diodes and the gain past noon)

Archived