EHX LPB-1...Any Reason to Get it?

Noise...

• Members

The idea is to be a flat boost, which it doesn't do quite perfectly--it's non completely transparent, but close. That can be used just to get more volume for solos, or to hit a preamp/dirt pedal harder for more dirt. It can boost your signal a bit, or a hell of a lot.

• Members

I noticed this little power booster...but is that all it really does? Boosts your signal just a bit?

Does it add slight OD, or is it's only purpose to boost your signal slightly?

:confused:

I still have the one I bought long ago. It was my only effect for years. It use to blow up my BF Fender Princeton which moments before was my raging distortion center.

I liked it so much that when I got my LPB2 I had the LPB circuit wired inside it in series. Playing the two at once for some extreme distorted saturation. In other words it distorts anything it's plugged into.

ZVEX asked me once if I had an idea for a combination pedal. I told him about my two LPB's wired in series. The rest is pedal history. :)

• Members

How about LPB-1 + Double Muff?

What about with a Big Muff?

the lpb1 and the double muff work together very very well,

my favourite stack is lpb1 into a vintage rat,

also mine does add some overdrive when i use it alone, but not too much and it sounds all the sweeter for it,

• Members

I'm seriously interested in getting one. If I want a volume boost for solos, should I put it in front or after my Vintage Rat? If I put it before, will it just give more gain, and not enough volume?

Before - more gain - you would be overdriving the rat - but that can be a sustain machine.

After - more volume and likely appearing more clean & articulate.

The best place for one of these for solos is in a loop - if thats possible - that way you aer pushing the power tubes - otherwise you are always pushing the preamp section which isnt bad - but different and not as clean.....Its one of those things you can play with - there isnt a set in stone scenario that will always sound best....Get two of them and play around - its fun :thu:

• Members

I noticed this little power booster...but is that all it really does? Boosts your signal just a bit?

Does it add slight OD, or is it's only purpose to boost your signal slightly?

:confused:

I don't think anybody directly answered if it adds slight OD or not. Yes it does - if you crank it, it does give some dirt to your tone. When I use one with my Mesa Nomad (on the clean channel) and crank the LPB-1 up a bit it breaks up into really nice OD. I'm not sure exactly what it will do to a solid state amp, but it will give you some nice (although light) OD with a tube amp.

• Members

I don't think anybody directly answered if it adds slight OD or not. Yes it does - if you crank it, it does give some dirt to your tone. When I use one with my Mesa Nomad (on the clean channel) and crank the LPB-1 up a bit it breaks up into really nice OD. I'm not sure exactly what it will do to a solid state amp, but it will give you some nice (although light) OD with a tube amp.

:cop:

:wave:

• Members

I have one. It's decent. It doesn't sound as good as just turning my amp up but I like to play my amp with a little bit of breakup anyway, so it doesn't need to be turned up all the way.

My Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster added a lot more volume and had a cool resonance feature, but it's a piece of {censored} because the switch is broken. I'll probably fix it and use that as my main boost.

Verdict: I suggest the model TWO Seymour Duncan pickup booster if you're looking for a clean boost/gain boost/solo boost. The model TWO is the one with the BLACK bottom. Model one has a red bottom. Model one had a {censored}load of problems with it, notably the switch. Model two fixed that and added better components inside.

• Members

Before - more gain - you would be overdriving the rat - but that can be a sustain machine.

After - more volume and likely appearing more clean & articulate.

The best place for one of these for solos is in a loop - if thats possible - that way you aer pushing the power tubes - otherwise you are always pushing the preamp section which isnt bad - but different and not as clean.....Its one of those things you can play with - there isnt a set in stone scenario that will always sound best....Get two of them and play around - its fun
:thu:

Thanks for that answer, considering that my next question was "i can has the lpb-1 in teh loop?"

I put my volume pedal in the loop to boost solos, and since I want to replace my volume with something smaller, I think I'll go with the LPB-1! :thu:

• Members

is it better through a tube amp?

using a booster to drive the front end of a tube amp is different then using a booster to drive a Rat or somesuch, or the front end of a SS amp.

better?

different.

using a boost into an SS amp doesnt always mean one is trying to overdrive things either.

we really should stop thinking only in absolutes, it'd help us get more out of gear.

• Members

opinions: Personally I think everything sounds better into a tube amp.....well all my pedals do anyway.

if a tube amp is running at preamp=1, volume=1, then you are most likely reponding to ad copy, rather than tube behaviors.

stop thinking in absolutes :)

Archived