effects at guitar center...

voxfreak

• Members

so i went into guitar center today to exchange my monster cable which broke and it was really efficient they just handed me a new one. While the cashier was unpackaging the new cable however i went over to the effects rack bc i wanted to try the seymour duncan twin tube classic (ive been stuggling between it and the english muff'n) but the effects pedals were a complete mess as usual. Theres usually a 5% chance that they wont be all over the place. Is your guitar center like this too? Cables tangles every which way with no clue what cable is going where?

• Members

Sometimes. Most of the time, my guitar center has no cords at all so trying out effects is a no go.

The last 2 times i have been in there they have had the sound room locked up, and in the main room they only had like 2 cords that were tied to the wall preventing anyone from playing any amp that wasnt within the reach of the 2 cords. I think they were both by all the line 6 stuffs. :o

Gay.

• Members

Mine keeps it fairly neat, and the cables are attached and you have your choice of a Roland Cube or a Peavey Classic 30, not too bad I guess. None of that mattered today when I went there during lunch and found a used Vintage ProCo Rat in dead mint condition for $60. I snagged it.

I used to have one years ago and, when caught up in the boutique fare, I ended up selling it to buy something I can't even remember now. Point is - I regretted selling it and always wanted to get another one. As cheap as possible too. :)

You guys that own or have owned the Vintage Rat know the mojo I'm talkin about. :cool:

• Members

Oddly enough, the GC nearest me is pretty well organized. The main displays that are on the floor are the usual Boss/Digitech/Line6, but at least with the Digitech stuff it has a brochure with each of the pedals explaining functions, sounds, etc. The Boss and Line6 stuff are easy enough to try out, but you do have every pedal in the signal chain. The "boutique" stuff (not really, except maybe Fulltone) is clearly on display under the glass counter, but you can ask to try any of it pretty easily. And even so, I'd rather buy anything possible at a smaller, privately owned shop. :cool:

• Members

I always just ask if I can bring a certain pedal over to a nice amp, alone, without the horrendous pedal chain and crap solid state combo.

+ 24,000.

I always walk over a try-out pedal to a Fender tube amp, which is what I use at home and on gigs. A {censored}ty 6" speaker Crate combo is not going to cut the mustard for me.

Anyway, my local store never has cables readily available. Some clerk will inevitably need to walk around for 3 minutes looking for 2 cables for me. :freak: And if a power supply is needed, add another 3 minutes...

• Members
+ 24,000.

I always walk over a try-out pedal to a Fender tube amp, which is what I use at home and on gigs. A {censored}ty 6" speaker Crate combo is not going to cut the mustard for me.

Anyway, my local store never has cables readily available. Some clerk will inevitably need to walk around for 3 minutes looking for 2 cables for me.
:freak:
And if a power supply is needed, add another 3 minutes...

Last time I was at the Winter Park GC, they had a vintage DEM. The clerk brought it out to demo, but the switch was busted. So I thought, "I'll lowball him on the price and then fix it myself." So I asked him if they "bring in a lot of broken gear." He said, "Well we make it a point not to have broken gear in our store" as if I were insulting the store :lol: So then he asks me to choose a guitar. I chose a Yamaha RGXA2 (I'm a sucker for the lighted knobs). He tried to plug it in, and the damn jack was busted. I almost pissed my pants laughing.

• Members
Last time I was at the Winter Park GC, they had a vintage DEM. The clerk brought it out to demo, but the switch was busted. So I thought, "
I'll lowball him on the price and then fix it myself
." So I asked him if they "bring in a lot of broken gear." He said, "Well we make it a point not to have broken gear in our store" as if I were insulting the store
:lol:
So then he asks me to choose a guitar. I chose a Yamaha RGXA2 (I'm a sucker for the lighted knobs). He tried to plug it in, and the damn jack was busted. I almost pissed my pants laughing.

did you end up getting the DEM

• Members

Yeah, some of the guys at Winter Park GC are okay. Like 3 of them. I only say that because I go in there semi-regularly, and they always cut me deals on the most mundane things without even having to ask.

The rest of them are knuckleheads without a clue.

• Members

Yeah, some of the guys at Winter Park GC are okay. Like 3 of them. I only say that because I go in there semi-regularly, and they always cut me deals on the most mundane things without even having to ask.

The rest of them are knuckleheads without a clue.

The guys have always been cool with me, I just thought it was a funny story.

• Members
....You guys that own or have owned the Vintage Rat know the mojo I'm talkin about.
:cool:

this is one i've used for years, it was found in one of the egyptian pyramids, which were actually huge displays made for the God of Mids (notice the ^ shape, like that of an EQ shaped for more mids).

procorat005.jpg

{censored} GC.

• Members

I actually enjoy the set ups my guitar center uses for the effects stations. They're all tube amps, one is a Fender Hot rod reluxe, the other is the small crate tube amp and the last is a peavey valve king.

Not awesome amps, but they sound good for what they do.

I've also boughten a broken dd-5 for 20 dollars from there, which just needed one diode replaced. :)

Archived