Dunlop Hendrix Authentic Analog JHF1 Fuzz Face 5 second overview...

Macdaddy Music

• Members

We've had an order in for the new Dunlop Hendrix JHF1 Fuzz Faces since MARCH and just got them in yesterday. Wow...

Anyhow, I plugged one in, played it for a few minutes and have to say it sounds REALLY nice. I'm not a fuzz connoisseur, but I can tell you that it does sound really great. I'm going to try to do a quick review with sound clips shortly so those of you who are going to start asking for clips - don't get your undies in a bundle.

One complaint - it's powered by a battery only - no DC jack. I understand the concept of making this identical to the original, but some modern things like DC power aren't necessarily bad. Granted you can always use a battery clip adapter, but that means either leaving the back plate off or cutting a hole in your new $150 pedal.

Anyhow - just wanted to share...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I presume its still on a PCB with generic cheap parts right? Id be really surprised if this was more than just a different cosmetic offering because thats what Dunlop usually does when a product starts to drop in sales. They announce a new product when all they really so it paint the enclosure a different color.

• Members

I presume its still on a PCB with generic cheap parts right? Id be really surprised if this was more than just a different cosmetic offering because thats what Dunlop usually does when a product starts to drop in sales. They announce a new product when all they really so it paint the enclosure a different color.

I'm not at all an electronics expert, but it's doesn't appear to be like what you're describing. I'll try to post a pic in a few minutes. According to Dunlop "The Hendrix Fuzz Face is built around the toneful BC108 silicon transistor. It is authentic in every detail - a handwired brown circuit board with no solder mask and circuitry carefully matched to the original specs."

I think they shot themselves in the foot with the "new" Hendrix Wah because that was basically what you describe. Identical guts in a shiny new box. This appears to be much better than the "standard" red Fuzz Face. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

• Members

How much are they. A pic would be great too. It sounds like they might have done a close replica but big companies hate sourcing NOS parts so thats why I question the build.

Street price is $149.99. Most place will probably do free shipping in the US (we are). We're also doing a store-wide discount for the rest of October of 8% - check out our blog link below for details.

Working on a pic....my batteries died and I'm just waiting for them to finish charging up.

• Members

Honestly, I have no intention of buying one. Im not one for nostalgia at the cost of a massive enclosure for a postage stamp circuit. The DC jack issue further complicates things for me. However, Im sure every hendrix fan will buy one hoping that this is the key to his sound.

• Members

Honestly, I have no intention of buying one. Im not one for nostalgia at the cost of a massive enclosure for a postage stamp circuit. The DC jack issue further complicates things for me. However, Im sure every hendrix fan will buy one hoping that this is the key to his sound.

Understandable. Not trying to sell it to you, just answering your question as to what they cost.

• Members

I heard it has been completely changed buy MR.Huge.

• Members

I heard it has been completely changed buy MR.Huge.

I've heard the same thing - Dunlop has the Way Huge guy doing design, etc. with them.

Again, I'm no expert, but it'd be REALLY bad business for Dunlop to make all these claims about being faithful to Jimi's original's and then not actually follow through.

• Members

Has anyone played the new line of jimi hendrix pedals? i think theres a wah, fuzz and octave. im interested in knowing what the octave and fuzz pedals sound like. has anybody looked inside to see if is like how they advertise it?

I picked up the Wah after hearing a guy playing one at GC. Sounded surprisingly good thru the Strat and Fender amp the guy was trying it out with so I grabbed it. I played with it an hour or so when I got it home with no other pedals in the chain, then started adding a few dirt & fuzzes. I like it, but until I can sit down and A/B it against my Teese's, I will withhold further comment. And no, I didn't open it up yet - but I will.

I passed on the Octave one after hearing the fingernails on a blackboard sound I heard coming from it when some kid plugged it in. I listened for about a minute, and then left the store. I heard enough that I had no further interest in it.

• Members

I passed on the Octave one after hearing the chalk on a blackboard sound I heard coming from it when some kid plugged it in. I listened for about a minute, and then left the store. I heard enough that I had no further interest in it.

I'd be curious to know what set-up was being used when you heard that. I still haven't had a chance to plug in the Hendrix Octavio's, BUT every customer I've had who's bought one absolutely raves about it.

• Members

I'd be curious to know what set-up was being used when you heard that. I still haven't had a chance to plug in the Hendrix Octavio's, BUT every customer I've had who's bought one absolutely raves about it.

You know what - you made me think about that and come to think about it - he was playing thru a SS Line 6 amp of some sort - so because of you, I will try one out for myself with the "proper" guitar/amp next time I'm out there. So I'll keep my mind open and give her a 2nd whirl. Okay?

Now - go check your email cuz I'm trying to buy one of your fuzzes! :cop:

• Members

Most guitar center employees set people down in front of some generic solid state amp with any pedal. Octavias aren't warm-sounding fuzzes either and who knows how the amp was set at all. To many variables to trust what you hear in a GC when someone else is playing.

• Members

Most guitar center employees set people down in front of some generic solid state amp with any pedal. Octavias aren't warm-sounding fuzzes either and who knows how the amp was set at all. To many variables to trust what you hear in a GC when someone else is playing.

Well thank you young grasshopper - I'll try to remember that very important information from now on. :rolleyes:

:poke:

:lol:

:wave:

• Members

the octave isn't as necessary as the wah and fuzz for hendrix type stuff, but i hope they did a good job nonetheless. once one of you guys opens the pedal/s up please show us pics! in all honesty a standard vox wah could pass instead of this new one...but it would still be interesting to see whats inside. the fuzz is what really matters though (to me at least). the other dunlop fuzz faces they have been making in the past didn't impress me much at all.

Archived