DELUXE MEMORY MAN max delay too short !

MOGAZI!

• Members

Hi everyone,:wave:

I recently bought a secondhand DELUXE MEMORY MAN and had the "true bypass" mod done by the engineer in the store (for free!). After that, the pedal seemed to work perfectly fine, but today I realized that the maximum delay possible is much shorter than the 550 ms on the pedal's specs. I tested it and found that was only 199 ms !!!

All the other features on the pedal seem to work properly and the mod fixed the bypass issue. I had the pedal for only a day before having the mod done so I don't know if that has anything to do with this new problem...

The shop where I bought it only offers a limited warranty for used pedals, apart from being more than 700 miles away from where I am now: so, hoping in some sort of warranty repair is pretty much impossible.

Does anyone have any ideas or experienced the same problem? :confused:

If it's not something major I'd like to fix it myself since I know some electronics.

Thanks!

• Members

i have this problem, ive heard the trim pots, i think five? are hard to try to calibrate yourself. ive seen someone post a picture explaining which does what if i remember.

anyways, howard davis will post on the forums. hes a pro at fixing em, he worked for ehx. but that cost money and i dont have that. so its at least is good to know its fixable, right? help is on our way, my friend. its a very popular pedal.:cool: and if howard does post, how much for a volume mod to the ehx mistress filter matrix? have a good evening.

• Members

My dmm is about 270ms...

Can someone post the link for how to true bypass the DMM...I know there was a site that had instructions. Mine is pretty noisy and it would be nice to bypass the preamp.

you obviously know what you want, some are made true bypass. i think itd be cool to have a preamp on all the time as a boost, or is it not a nice warm boost, maybe trebbly or sterile?

• Members

I had Howard Davis mod a DMM for me - it had around 400 ms; when I got it back it had about 600 ms. I sold it to a forum member. The cost was very reasonable, but you do have to pay for shipping both ways, which can add up. I think it all ended up costing around 70 dollars. I think the mod itself was $40 or $50. From what he told me, I think he can mod it for even more time than 600ms, although the noise will increase of course the more time there is. I use delay very lightly, so the noise wasn't as much an issue. I don't know how they can advertise 550 ms, when most units are less than that.

• Members

Out of curiosity - how are folks measuring their delay time? I had Howard align the BBDs in my DMM and would love to see how much delay time I'm getting. . .

Set up your DMM and a tap temp delay and then play a note with the DMM and tap out the time one the other delay. You could also record it at its max time and then measure the time between pulses in a recording program.

• Members

Not a bad idea. I was going to try using this:

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

And then converting the bpm to ms of delay here:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:YYyqcl-dImAJ:www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/delay-time-calculator.htm+delay+time+calculator&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Probably not very accurate, but it should be close-ish.

• Members

analogman.com has some interesting info on the DMM, he does do mods, including one that replaces the JRC4558D IC's; apparently they are great for tubescreamers but not for memory mans(men?) It makes it more high-fi and may actually decrease noise when you calibrate your pedal for longer delay times. Also, depending on your pedal, there may be 2 long delay chips, or 4 shorter delay chips, if it's the latter he can replace them with the longer delay chips giving you a normal delay time of around 1100 ms. However, the chips are super expensive and I think he charges $100 just for the parts! It's worth a read anyway.

• Members

The way i mesured it is by recrding a track on protools and just play a string of my guitar...

I would then check how much time there is beetween the start of the original sound and the second one (first repetition)...

Archived