I just bought a "TIM"; what can I expect?

Scott K

• Members

The Tim is better than the Timmy. It's my favourite overdrive pedal. It can do warm, it can do sharp. Brilliant, brilliant design.

but don't take my words for it. Plug it in. Play. Enjoy.

Excellent, man. I'm looking to keep my tone pretty warm with a lot of mids. Although, I want's to maintain a decent amount of pick attack dynamics.

• Members

Excellent, man. I'm looking to keep my tone pretty warm with a lot of mids. Although, I want's to maintain a decent amount of pick attack dynamics.

Those mids will get eaten up by the Tim. It's an extremely transparent and uncompressed pedal. It has a distinctive tone that you love or hate. It's very treble-y.

It's also easily three times as tall as the tallest pedal you have. Like a double boss pedal. Makes placement difficult.

• Members

Those mids will get eaten up by the Tim. It's an extremely transparent and uncompressed pedal. It has a distinctive tone that you love or hate. It's very treble-y.

It's also easily three times as tall as the tallest pedal you have. Like a double boss pedal. Makes placement difficult.

Ha... yeah, it's definitely tall. I've got a Pedaltrain Pro, so it should fit on there pretty well.

• Members

It's an extremely transparent and uncompressed pedal. It has a distinctive tone that you love or hate. It's very treble-y.

IMHO it ain't trebley although I can see what you mean. It can be if you want. It's extremely important to understand how EQ works and it works wonders. Setting both treble and bass clockwise can give you a great tight non-honkey sort of midrange. Boost is also extremely useful. Great, great pedal you'll find hard to turn off.

• Members

A good rule of thumb/starting point is to set the vol/gain/treble/bass knobs at the same setting (like 2:00 for example) and then tweak from there. Basically - the more Gain you use, the less treble and bass you should use. Remember that the bass and treble knobs work backwards from regular controls - clockwise equals cut.

There isn't much in the way of mids or compression unless you're using it to pummel your preamp. If you want a mid boost - stick an EQ in the loop.

The Tim isn't better than the Timmy - it's a different pedal with more options. If you find that you don't use the loop or need the boost, a Timmy would be the better choice.

• Members

Switches are the same thing like little dip switches inside the Timmy pedal. Your Tim's using a push-pull pot for symmetrical uncompressed/compressed modes. You get that with two switches up and two switches down - but there's also that extra 'Timmy' asymmetrical clipping with one up one down. Soundwise it's somwhat in beetween. You'll be more than ok with your version but having an extra option is fun.

Archived