why do you play/write music?

damacy

• Members

this may be a very philosophical question. but i'd like to know of your thoughts on this. it's been bugging me lately. it's somewhat absurd that if you're forced to describe music in words because what you express in music is mostly/sometimes wordless.

it does not really matter if you're a professional musician or an amateur. an easy answer could be 'just because it's fun' which is totally fine.

so here's my question again. why do you play/write music?

thanks a lot for your thoughts in advance.

• Members

I think because I can't imagine life without doing it.

I go through a lot of personal turmoil about coming to terms with the music I make; how much time I devote to something that is, if you listen to everyone else, guaranteed no success.

I graduated college this past spring, and up until a month had been couch surfing, not writing any new music at all. By the time I got my own apartment, I've been brimming with ideas I can't contain. I wake up from dreams wherein I am writing transcendant incredible music.

In sum, I guess I do it because, well, I can't stop.

• Members

Because I'm crazy. :freak: I literally get music stuck in my head from nowhere and I can't get it unstuck until I transpose it from Crazy-o-sound to guitar. Happened again yesterday up at university when I was in literature lecture. Just popped in there, and next thing I knew I was humming it and drumming out the rhythm on my legs. I missed a lot because it was so pervasive in my mind. All my best songs come to me this way. This new one is a manic 7/8 groove in a sombrero sipping jazz cola. Can't wait to jam it out with the guys, see what else comes of it.

I'm actually having kind of a crisis right now about college. It's not that I don't know what I want to do, it's that I know EXACTLY what I want to do - I want to play my guitar and make music for all to hear, fiscal security be damned. It's my passion and I'm good at it, and from what little exposure I have, people really like what I do. I don't want to sit idly by when I could be doing what I love and giving things a shot.

• Members

this may be a very philosophical question. but i'd like to know of your thoughts on this. it's been bugging me lately. it's somewhat absurd that if you're forced to describe music in words because what you express in music is mostly/sometimes wordless.

it does not really matter if you're a professional musician or an amateur. an easy answer could be 'just because it's fun' which is totally fine.

so here's my question again. why do you play/write music?

thanks a lot for your thoughts in advance.

I play/write for myself. It's the only thing I do in life that is completely free - free to be uncompromising, free to explore, free to be self-indulgent, and free to not give a {censored} if anyone else is paying attention. If someone else likes it, bonus!

• Members
Because I'm crazy.
:freak:
I literally get music stuck in my head from nowhere and I can't get it unstuck until I transpose it from Crazy-o-sound to guitar. Happened again yesterday up at university when I was in literature lecture. Just popped in there, and next thing I knew I was humming it and drumming out the rhythm on my legs. I missed a lot because it was so pervasive in my mind. All my best songs come to me this way. This new one is a manic 7/8 groove in a sombrero sipping jazz cola. Can't wait to jam it out with the guys, see what else comes of it.

I'm actually having kind of a crisis right now about college. It's not that I don't know what I want to do, it's that I know EXACTLY what I want to do - I want to play my guitar and make music for all to hear, fiscal security be damned. It's my passion and I'm good at it, and from what little exposure I have, people really like what I do. I don't want to sit idly by when I could be doing what I love and giving things a shot.

i feel the exact same way, if it wasn't for the fact that I live across the country and probably don't play the same kind of music you do, we'd be in a band. :cool:

• Members

I do it because it is my escape from reality. The only things that are on my mind when I pick up the guitar are my guitar, amp, and effects. I concentrate on them and lose myself in the moment. Having a band is wonderful too. Looking across the room and seeing your friends having a good time with you, feels great. The way all of the ideas come together is probably my favorite part of playing music. And the fact that each time you pick up the instrument you gain more experience.

• Members
Because I'm crazy.
:freak:
I literally get music stuck in my head from nowhere and I can't get it unstuck until I transpose it from Crazy-o-sound to guitar. Happened again yesterday up at university when I was in literature lecture. Just popped in there, and next thing I knew I was humming it and drumming out the rhythm on my legs. I missed a lot because it was so pervasive in my mind. All my best songs come to me this way. This new one is a manic 7/8 groove in a sombrero sipping jazz cola. Can't wait to jam it out with the guys, see what else comes of it.

Good post. That is how I wrote all of drum lines last semester. During religion class I would get out my pad and pen and write out my drums. Then I would have a lot of ideas to record on the weekend. I try to record a song every week. This weekend I am having a jam session though so it should be fun. First time since June!

• Members

I agree with everything said so far, but it's also that I want to actively take part in culture, not just be a receiver. I want to impact things. Obviously I could expand on that to the length of a book, but I'll leave it there for now.

I also love when I suggest something really out there, and our drummer says casually that the audience might not dig it, or understand, or whatever, and then I say that the audience can suck my ass. Usually another one of the guys will laugh and say yeah. Right at that moment, it all becomes clear.

• Members
This new one is a manic 7/8 groove in a sombrero sipping jazz cola.

These two passages have convinced me that we are kindred spirits.

I'm glad you seem to have a band. Finding people like me/like you has been really hard for me. And I'm in one of the biggest cities in the world. :(

• Members

I started playing music cause I wanted to be able to play the songs of my favorite bands. Now, I do it because when you sit down and lose yourself to playing what comes to you, there is nothing better. No problems, just pure enjoyment, and that's something that no one can take away.

• Members

Years ago I used to write instrumental guitar music because it's what I enjoyed. It was pretty odd psychedelic stuff and meant for guitar only. When I got into playing music with other people (around 2001) and singing I started writing stuff I liked but that could have lyrics and be played with the band. I developed my style of rock. I write lyrics because I can express things that are a part of me but sometimes I also write in a free flow style where words come to me as I hum something while playing the guitar parts. Playing with a band, as many of you know, is a great release from a busy lifestyle. Oh, and it's also great to play songs from bands I love.

• Members

Because I enjoy it, and dare I say it because slowly but surely I'm gettin better at it.
I'm not in a band anymore so I just write and record at home. I love the feeling I get when I put hours into a tune, sometimes struggling with it, and the finished product is something that I myself like and am proud off.

• Members

there is nothing better than writing a song with your friends, playing it for the first time and thinking "hell yeah, this rocks!!!" knowing that you wrote it is a very weird feeling...it's very special and nothing else makes me feel like that. Then you play it to other people and they say 'man that song kicks ass' and you feel like the luckiest person in the world for the rest of that night.

Archived