Making an electric guitar sound 'natural'

digiology2

• Members

Hi, I always find this nagging problem with electric guitars, I tend to do alot of finger picking but the dynamics are usually very unatural.Acoustic guitars on the other hand sound just right, no sudden jumps in volume dues to minor mistakes. Is there an easy way to fix this?

I know practice helps but I'm hoping that different pickups or a compressor might help too.

• Members

Hi, I always find this nagging problem with electric guitars, I tend to do alot of finger picking but the dynamics are usually very unatural.Acoustic guitars on the other hand sound just right, no sudden jumps in volume dues to minor mistakes. Is there an easy way to fix this?

I know practice helps but I'm hoping that different pickups or a compressor might help too.

While you're picking, listen for the strings or notes that seem to jump out the most. A bit of EQ cut can help to tame those frequencies. Compression is also useful, but when overcompressed, you'll get an unnatural tone as well, so try to keep the compression subtle and transparent.

Archived