adding AC socket to pedal?

modseye

• Members

about 2 months back i purchased a baja tech das fuzz pedal.

its took about a month to finally get to me (U.S to UK)

when it arrived i was shocked to see it didnt have a AC socket fitted.

now i have an old beat up boss overdrive pedal that i was going to remove its Ac socket and fit it onto my fuzz pedal.

could anyone give me some advice?

i did think "hey just connect the positive and negative from the battery to the AC socket"

but after looking inside the boss pedal i noticed it wasnt as simple as that.

could it just be that companies wire thing differently and that my idea would work?

or do i have to go down a different path to fit a socket?

any help would be great

thanks

• Members

I wouldn't bother. You will probably get some added noise, maybe a lot of added noise. Fuzzes can be quite susceptible to that. Plus it should last months on one battery, they don't draw much current.

Also, they can be + ground as well, which means you can run into problems with power supplies.

• Members

im not used to using batteries at all. and well ive gotten thru 2 batteries in 2 weeks. (forgetting to unplug)
i would really prefer to add a socket. but if what you say is true...ill just keep buying those little square things :rolleyes:
if anyone else has any thought that would be great ta

• Members

I too have wasted many a battery by leaving them plugged in

Have a look at the BYOC website and look at some of the building guides for their pedals, they have some good clear diagrams for wiring.

Perhaps email the makers and ask them directly?

• Members

As others have already noted, a fuzz circuit (if it is relatively simple) draws next to nothing, so as long as you remember to unplug the input cable, the battery should last a very long time. Also, using an adapter might change the way the fuzz reacts and sounds.

Using the battery clip thing can be handy if you'd rather not make holes in the box, but it can get fairly noisy - if the pedal wasn't designed for adapter use, it probably won't have any filtering built in. Also, you need to make sure the pedal is negative ground (many germanium fuzzes aren't), otherwise it will short the power out unless you give it its own separate adapter.

I'd stick with batteries - there's usually a reason the maker didn't fit a DC jack in the first place - and just make a note to always unplug the pedal when I'm done playing.

/Andreas

• Members
pp3_lead_all.jpg

Solved!

eBay Link Here

yep, these things are sweet. What I did, was I drilled a hole in the bottom of one fuzz pedal, and took the battery cover off my big muff, then I just fed the battery clip through the bottom of my board, so when I need to change a battery I just flip my board over, I don't have to take the zip-ties off my pedal.

Archived