Kinda OT: Best saw for DIY Board Building?

DeuceII

• Members

For those of you that do your own board building, what saw do you recommend for narrow cuts, straight or otherwise? I recall a thread where the Rev showed how to cut out wah mounts, but they had rounded corners and I can't remember what saw he used (nor can I seem to find the thread). While I'm at it, what do you use for finishing? Sander, then paint? I've got enough wood left over from my first board (too big, not very portable) to build something Pedaltrain Pro sized, and I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a good saw/sander etc. and do it myself rather than go out and find a PTPro.

• Members

Bump for the weekend crowd. Anybody?

homestar kevin, are you going to use a straightedge for those cuts or freehand? I'm not sure which makes more sense, clamping a metal straightedge to the wood to guide the cuts or just mark it and go. Would the straightedge get chewed up by the saw (or vice-versa)?

• Members

Is it better for the saw/safety to freehand everything, or can you clamp a straigtedge down for a guide? I did everything freehand when I built my first board (with a borrowed circular saw), but mainly because I didn't have a long enough straightedge. My cuts weren't great, though, and the board was a little uneven so I'm trying to learn from my own mistakes/experience.

• Members

For mine I used a skill saw, and a jig saw.

I tried searching homedepot.com for a skill saw, and all I got was SKIL the brand. Is a skill saw just a circular saw, or are there differences? Did you make the rounded cuts in the middle of your board with the jig saw?

• Members

This would be the best saw. This is what I use. Luckily, my old man is into woodworking.

Hmmm, well, since I'm not into woodworking that much I'm looking for more of a handheld, I think. I just don't see the point in investing a lot into a full table saw to make myself one pedalboard. If I had more of a use for it, yeah, but I don't. It would make more sense to spend the money on a custom board, and be done. Nice looking setup, though.

So I should probably modify my original query, best budget saw for pedalboard making.

• Members

Hmmm, well, since I'm not into woodworking that much I'm looking for more of a handheld, I think. I just don't see the point in investing a lot into a full table saw to make myself one pedalboard. If I had more of a use for it, yeah, but I don't. It would make more sense to spend the money on a custom board, and be done. Nice looking setup, though.

So I should probably modify my original query, best budget saw for pedalboard making.

Seriously, all you need is a circular saw and get a long adustable staight-edge, preferrably one with clamps to lock it in place.

bora%201.jpg

• Members

I tried searching homedepot.com for a skill saw, and all I got was SKIL the brand. Is a skill saw just a circular saw, or are there differences? Did you make the rounded cuts in the middle of your board with the jig saw?

Yeah, no difference, just a brand of saws. It's what my dad has been calling it for years, so I pretty much call it the same thing out of habit.

Yup. I used the jig for the rounded bits. I first measured and drew out the rectangle I wanted to cut out, then grabbed a washer and traced the outline of that to make the corners round. The corners were a bit tricky, and I needed to go very slow.

I also used some "pistol" style clamps. They're amazing! Very easy to use, fast to adjust, and tighten down.

http://z.about.com/d/homerepair/1/0/m/-/-/-/clamp.jpg

Archived