Feedback Dangers??

Seth Bean

• Members

Just watch the volume if you're using self oscillation or anything that goes louder than strumming your guitar, especially if you're already playing loud and/or boosting the input of your amp. It's possible that you might blow a speaker, although it's not all that likely unless you're running at full volume, boosting the amp and making loud self oscillation noises all at once. Modern speakers should be well spec'd for the volume and wattage of the amps they're used in. If you are playing loud a lot, you might find that your tubes wear out quicker, but we're talking months there, not hours.

Watch your ears too. That's a loud amp with lots of treble, so if you're cranking it up high, consider some decent musicians' earplugs.

• Members

ok cool...ive also been told that i can make tubes like..literally shatter or blow up with to much feedback...is this true???

No. Well, at least not if the tubes aren't REALLY {censored}ty or faulty. Tubes are like lightbulbs in that filaments inside them can burn out if they have an incorrect voltage applied to them (or over time) but they do not explode, just like a lightbulb doesn't explode when you burn it out.

• Members

i think you are being overly concerned....what would matter is the match between your output section and the speaker. i wouldn't worry aboout it but that's just me. you can change speaker ohm's and lower the impedence which will stress the tubes less, they don't have to work as hard.

• Members

what lol...i would assume that the stock speakers would at least be rated right with the amp...am i wrong?

your statement just sounded like you completely wrote off the possibility that a stock speaker/component in an amp could become faulty...

my stock voice coil in my Pro Jr just blew on me last week. It's after about a year of playing it with the volume on 5 1/2. I use oscillation and feedback often, plus i boost the crap out of it. I was suprised when it happened though. I"ve never had a speaker blow on me. There was literally no noise coming from the amp at all. took it to get it fixed and all is better now. I punished it at band practice last night.

just sayin that just because something is stock, doesn't mean it's always matched up right. In fact, it rarely is.

• Members

your statement just sounded like you completely wrote off the possibility that a stock speaker/component in an amp could become faulty...

my stock voice coil in my Pro Jr just blew on me last week. It's after about a year of playing it with the volume on 5 1/2. I use oscillation and feedback often, plus i boost the crap out of it. I was suprised when it happened though. I"ve never had a speaker blow on me. There was literally no noise coming from the amp at all. took it to get it fixed and all is better now. I punished it at band practice last night.

just sayin that just because something is stock, doesn't mean it's always matched up right. In fact, it rarely is.

huh... i did not know that lol

Archived