SOT:Having a pretty bad week regarding gear, advice appreciated.

Zer0beaT

• Members

It seems that out of nowhere my Fender Jaguar has a dead spot on one string on the second fret, dead enough and an important enough fret that I don't even want to play it anymore. The first few frets are getting pretty worn down (about halfway maybe a little more on the 2nd and 3rd) and some of the frets up at the 12th area too. I've had this guitar for about 15 years ('93 MIJ) and it's my main guitar, my first guitar aswell so it's very sentimental to me.

Do I need a refret? And if so, do I get them all refretted or just the worn ones? I mean some are slightly worn, some are really worn, and the ones way up aren't worn at all. Should I get the nut replaced aswell while I'm at it? I'm assuming after 15 years the slots have been worn down too.

This was a few days ago.

Tonight my girlfriends trying to figure something out on the piano in another room and I'm just messing around with my other guitar through my amp ('77 Fender Deluxe Reverb) which has been noticeably noisy lately but only so bad and it would come and go I figured it was a cable or something and I'd figure it out at some point.

Anyway, I finish playing and turn my amp off, girlfriend decides she wants to try her thing on guitar, so I turn the amp back on and it's REALLY noisy. So I mess with the volume still noisy, switch channels, try a different cable etc etc still noisy, remove everything else from the chain go straight into amp still noisy.

So I inspect the tubes, one of the preamp tubes is REALLY hot, so I replace it turn the amp back on and it's much less noisy but about a minute later the noise is back full out. I look at the tube and it's got a blueish glow not just the normal orange, and it's {censored}ing HOT! So that's a circuit problem probably one of the big capacitors right? (one went just after I got it used about 2 years ago and I had a similar problem with super hot tubes but it was a power tube) :(

So basically I have to take both my amp (my only amp!) and my main guitar in for repair where the turnaround is at least 2 weeks sometimes a month.

ARRRRGH!!!

All this sucks because I'm currently saving for a decent recording PC and I'm literally there, now my gear is going to be gone for weeks! And I don't even know how much a refret costs but it sounds like it could cost a bit which might {censored} over my new PC for a bit longer.

Anyway, any advice on the refret?

• Members

Am I bumping my ignored long winded thread?

Yeah. Help please?

I'd seriously appreciate any words of wisdom on refretting a guitar (I should say having it refretted by random repair guy at Long & McQuade) and perhaps some sympathy for my soon to be ampless/guitarless world or woefullness

• Members

I can't comment on the tube amp, as I don't know enough about trouble-shooting with them to find the problem.

As for the guitar, is it set up well? The seasons are changing, and that usually means setting up guitars and basses again. I set my Jaguar up just a few days ago because I was getting a lot of buzz. The same for my Jazz Bass.

Check the setup before dropping a bunch of money one someone to refret it.

I'm not familiar with Long and McQuade - are they a store similar to Guitar Center? If that's the case, I'd NEVER leave my guitar with a tech there - not for a setup, let alone something that needs to be perfect like a refret.

If setting the guitar up again doesn't get rid of the dead spot, find a good tech that you KNOW will do a good job.

If the deadspot *just* appeared as temperatures are going down, I'd suspect it's a setup issue. Check the string height, the neck relief, EVERYTHING. Give it a full setup and see if it helps. I'm thinking that it will.

:thu:

As for the amp, there are plenty of guys on here who know their stuff when it comes to amps. I'm sure one of them will be able to tell you how to fix up your amp. :wave:

• Members

Thanks Anti and RIFF,

I'm pretty sure it's not a setup problem with the guitar dead spot. Being a Jaguar I've been doing everything I can since I got it to help with string buzz along with every other problem in the book. This ain't string buzz but a dead spot and the fret relating to that string is seriously worn down and it's being cancelled out by the next fret as far as I can tell, the next fret is pretty worn down too etc etc on up a few frets and the first few frets at least for me are the most used. But I'll play around with the action/truss rod (a pain on a jag) but I've got a sinking feeling a refret is in order which I wish was not the case.

What I'm wondering is if I need a refret, should I get all worn frets replaced or what? I don't want to just fix it for now I'd prefer to not have to do this for another 15 years. Yeah Long & McQuade is essentially the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Center as far as I know but they do have old timers working the repairs for the most part I think. My guitar isn't some vintage Gibson or something and I'm by no means a good guitar player so searching out an expert isn't something I'm going to be doing, hence why I need advice so I know what to tell the repair department to do.

As for the amp I'm 100% certain it's a circuit thing and I won't be trying to fix that myself, so I won't be playing any electric guitar for awhile :( I think I'll add backup amp to my most wanted list.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Members

If the frets are as worn as you suggest, it would seem it definatly could do with some work. you might be able to get away with a partial re-fret and fret dress. Take it to someone who know's thier stuff and be prepared to pay for whatever needs doing. If it's a guitar you really love, it's not worth doing a half job. Do some research and ask around to find the best person for the job. Take the guitar to them and have a chat about what needs doing, get advice from a pro.

• Members

Thanks melx. Your advice is good, I should really take it somewhere that I can actually talk to the person that's going to be doing it instead of blindly leaving my guitar with whoever. The way the store is setup these days you can't actually talk to the repair guy, you have to go through the regular checkout counter and talk to some jackass who doesn't realize that not everything is covered by a 90 day warranty (like when I asked if I could get a couple feet of guitar wire when I was putting in new pickups and he asked if I meant guitar strings and pointed at the string wall)

I think I'll take my guitar seriously and get it fixed up right.

• Members

As one Canadian to another, I have to say: Don't bring it to L&M to get a fret job done. Take it to someone who is a pro.

...Unless you're in Victoria, as the tech guy here is a good friend of mine and is actually very very good.

As for the amp - it depends how much hassle you want. My amp went south a while back, and I took it to L&M to get repaired because I figured they'd farm it out and it would get done with the least amount of hassle... Boy was I wrong! In the end, they had my amp for eleven months. That's right, eleven. Luckily, I know some dudes there and after freaking out a bit got a nice little F50 loaner, which I then proceeded to take on a cross-Canada tour and beat the {censored} out of :D

• Members

You have days like that. Yesterday my grandfather died in the morning and at lunchtime I got a call from my amp tech saying my AC15 was going to need $500 bucks of work done :(

Where are you in Canada Zerobeat? If you're in Toronto, I found the guys at Capsule Music did good work on my gear. Go with the refret. I found 12th fret to be the priciest place in Toronto for guitar repairs in general. They quote $275 Canadian for a refret.

http://www.12fret.com/shop/index.html

Archived