(Dumb and Somewhat Dumb) VOX Amp questions:

Vatican

• Members

Vox AC-30

* If I turn up the volume on one of the channels, that wears out the tubes for that channel faster, right?

* If I turn off/down the volume knobs on the channels I'm not using, would I be conserving those tubes' lifespans?

* If I use a hot plate with this, then I have to consider that some inputs are 8 ohms and the others are 16 ohms, right?

* Also, for use with a hot plate, would the AC-30s speakers be in serial? Because I think that affects the computation of the ohms that the hot plate should be set for.

* The 'Brilliant' channel has three knobs, for Cut, Bass, and Treble. What toes the Cut knob do, and is there anything else I ought to know about making them useful?

* Any mics recommended for recording?

AC-15

* Is it possible to get a version of this without the Vibrato channel? And if I can't, what risks/problems are there if I simply don't bother installing new tubes for the Vibrato channel?

* If you're in the market for an AC-15, are you looking to avoid the newer, made-in-Asia varieties?

* Do people find they often need to cut through by using a treble booster?

• Members

without addressing specific questions, leme throw a few things out there that may help clarify:

all things considered, extending the life of a preamp tube is not important.

consideration, this just is, kinda like not feeding your kids lead just is.

and yes, theres ways to marginally cheat the system, but if you dont get it already, dont start trying to figure that stuff out yet.

of course, dummy, you;re here on the fx forum with thousands of posts. didja think i would say no to buying another pedal :confused:

:D

• Members

I didn't use a treble booster with my AC15TBX as I play with a lot of treble anyhow.

-Asian amps: I wouldn't buy one personally. I am in the market for a new '15 so I'm ordering a Valvetech Hayseed 15. Talked about it, thought about it, time to order it.

-Recording mics: Shure SM57 is the choice of winners everywhere.

• Members

I would not have any concerns regarding the reliabilty of the current made in China versions of the AC-30. I have one and the quality seems top-notch for the price. I think "Made in America" is overrated when it come to everything from autos to amps.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I should also add that turning the cut knob clockwise will decrease the higher frequencies and turning it counter-clockwise will add higher frequencies.

What confuses me about the Cut knob is that there already are bass and treble knobs on the amp, so having a knob which amounts to a low pass filter (the 'Cut' knob) makes for (confusing to me) interplay between them all. Leaving all three knobs at 50% seems to strike an acceptable tone tho, no matter what I'm amplifying.

I'd be curious to know yours, or anyone else's, approach to these knobs.

Archived