Boost to Add a Fuzz Channel to My Preamp?

ck3

• Members

I'm looking for a booster-type pedal that will cause the dirty channels of a moderately-high-gain tube preamp (Peavey Rock Master) to enter sick, yet articulate fuzz territory. I recently experimented with a couple of different distortions and fuzzes and found that they did not blend well with my preamp's distortion. Anything with more than a tinge of gain creates an excessively inarticulate mess. In addition, the clean channel on my Rock Master is far too bright and brittle for most fuzzes. This is why I am thinking that a booster-type pedal may be a better fit with my rig.

I used to have an earlier, artifact version of the Effector 13 05/25 boost, but had a solid state preamp back when it was on my board ... so I'm not certain how it interacts with tubes. The Electro~Harmonix Germanium OD seems like another interesting option, but there are not many reviews and/or clips. Finally, my previous experience with the DOD FX76 Punkifier would lead me to believe that it might function well in the aforementioned capacity, provided that the Punk, Spikes, and Menace levels are set low.

What are your opinions regarding the options that have been mentioned? Are there other ways to achieve the goal that I have in mind? Have I overlooked a fuzz pedal that may be dark and/or thick enough to work well with the gnarly clean channel of a Peavey tube preamp?

• Members

Maybe try a treble booster or a MKII clone and try turning the gain down a bit on the amp before hitting it with even more gain...

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked for Toni Iommi, so perhaps this may be worth a try. :cool:

• Members

After contemplating the tones that I have in mind further, I was wondering if a DOD 250 preamp or an MXR Distortion + might work. I've used digital emulations of both pedals, but not the real deal. What do others think of this approach? Would either pedal add/bring out some fuzziness when cascaded into my amp's dirt channels?

Archived