Volume Drop Issues

• Members

I see nothing wrong with Zack's approach, though it's clearly not for everyone. I've considered using a matrix-mixer before as a sort of mega-blend/feedback-loop system.

Short of such esoteric and bulky approaches, check out Barge Concepts DB-2 or VFB (-X) units for drop-in solutions.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got an idea! Let's all post clips here first thing tomorrow. We'll use all of our expensive home gear, record about 2 minutes of home-made music of our choosing, date-stamp it by reciting whatever the final score of the MNF game is tonight, and post it by noon EST tomorrow.

You got your gear ready to go there Zach?

• Members
I see nothing wrong with Zack's approach, though it's clearly not for everyone. I've considered using a matrix-mixer before as a sort of mega-blend/feedback-loop system.

Short of such esoteric and bulky approaches, check out Barge Concepts DB-2 or VFB (-X) units for drop-in solutions.

They do have merit in some situations, but to imply that they're the only approach or that the most expensive approach is the only approach does a complete disservice to many many players.

And +1 on the DB-2. :thu:

• Members
They do have merit in some situations, but to imply that they're the only approach or that the most expensive approach is the only approach does a complete disservice to many many players.

And +1 on the DB-2.
:thu:

Still trying to perpetuate the BS, that I suggested only a high end solution???

Do you have the stones to admit you are/were being disingenuous, re: my suggestions for possible solutions, as NOT being limited to an expensive approach???

Can we all step back for a minute, take a deep breath, calm down a bit and then try to remember...

...It's just the Internet. People have different POV's, and different opinions. Just because they agree - or disagree - with your own POV doesn't really matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Take "retarded" children as an example. I'm assuming here, but most of you probably are not developmentally delayed, and a good percentage of you probably have had little contact with such people. But there, but by the grace of God (or karma or bad luck or unfortunate circumstance... whatever you want to call it), could be you... or someone you love. And in light of that sort of reality, the type of gear you use, and what other people think of it, doesn't seem quite so important anymore. As the father of two profoundly developmentally delayed children, I'm a bit knowledgeable on the subject...

And when I see images of disabled kids being posted in an effort to mock or belittle other forum members, it saddens me on several levels. As I've said in the past, I'm not going to try to impose my own beliefs or whatever on the forum, and I try to not allow my own biases to take precedence and therefore I don't normally slam people for posting things like that... but I do find it tacky and insensitive, and if others who share my fate in that regard complain, I'll pull the images down.

Please think about what you're really doing the next time any of you consider posting images of that nature.

Thanks. :wave:

• Members

I've got an idea! Let's all post clips here first thing tomorrow. We'll use all of our expensive home gear, record about 2 minutes of home-made music of our choosing, date-stamp it by reciting whatever the final score of the MNF game is tonight, and post it by noon EST tomorrow.

You got your gear ready to go there Zach?

What is wrong with you???

• Members

I personally think the key to success as a musician is having reliable gear and lots of variety that can be matched to different situations. See, I've got several different amps and guitars I can use for different applications, from laying down a short sketch with a POD XT to playing a hard rock pickup gig with my pedalboard and Marshall to hitting a jam session with a pedal steel or one of my synths through a Twin Reverb, or just noodling with my kids through my Champ.

How reliable and versatile would you say your setup is, Zach?

• Members

Can we all step back for a minute, take a deep breath, calm down a bit and then try to remember...

...It's just the Internet. People have different POV's, and different opinions. Just because they agree - or disagree - with your own POV doesn't really matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Take "retarded" children as an example. I'm assuming here, but most of you probably are not developmentally delayed, and a good percentage of you probably have had little contact with such people. But there, but by the grace of God (or karma or bad luck or unfortunate circumstance... whatever you want to call it), could be you... or someone you love. And in light of that sort of reality, the type of gear you use, and what other people think of it, doesn't seem quite so important anymore. As the father of two profoundly developmentally delayed children, I'm a bit knowledgeable on the subject...

And when I see images of disabled kids being posted in an effort to mock or belittle other forum members, it saddens me on several levels. As I've said in the past, I'm not going to try to impose my own beliefs or whatever on the forum, and I try to not allow my own biases to take precedence and therefore I don't normally slam people for posting things like that... but I do find it tacky and insensitive, and if others who share my fate in that regard complain, I'll pull the images down.

Please think about what you're really doing the next time any of you consider posting images of that nature.

Thanks.
:wave:

Sincere apologies... I did, before you posted this, remove the pics I initially posted, as I agree that it was insensitive.

• Members

I personally think the key to success as a musician is having reliable gear and lots of variety that can be matched to different situations. See, I've got several different amps and guitars I can use for different applications, from laying down a short sketch with a POD XT to playing a hard rock pickup gig with my pedalboard and Marshall to hitting a jam session with a pedal steel or one of my synths through a Twin Reverb, or just noodling with my kids through my Champ.

How reliable and versatile would you say your setup is, Zach?

GREAT point!!!! Reliability, and Flexibility, especially on the road- is a HUGE factor. I have never had a failure live or in the studio. (Knocks on wood), though have precautions in place to deal with one should it occur.

I have a '65 Fender Super Reverb that has been in service since new (not by me), but still.... A Mesa/Boogie MKIII Coliseum that I bought NEW in '86 that has NEVER failed.

AGAIN... Great point!!!!

Personally I carry replacement fuses, tubes, cables, a soldering station, contact cleaner, electrical tape, duct tape, wire clippers, etc... when I was playing cross country. Local gigs... I still have replacement tubes fuses, cables and tools, w/ a backup amp. \One of the things that I see posted is, "do you need all of that?" and the answer is no, I prefer it, for CERTAIN scenarios (Usually in the studio).

As far as versatility goes, I designed the setup to be as versatile as necessary. I started with the core tones amps Super Reverb, Mojave Peacemaker, Marshall 6100, Mesa MKIII Coliseum, Fuchs ODS, and a few others... then I chose the rack gear and pedals so that I wouldn't have to worry about feeling like I was missing something. It didn't happen over night, that is certain. After having run a LOT of different setups and pieces of gear, I came to the selections that I have now, running what I feel is a system that has so far, allowed me to get whatever every producer & artist that I've worked with in the studio, has required/requested.

The thing that I have found to be the biggest factor, regarding the core are the amps, and guitars, and with this rig I can run 4 separate heads or combos, and switching the amps is as easy as plugging in a different amp. The processors are top shelf and found in EVERY major studio, so that is not a point of contention, and the pedals that are my preference are easily changed out should the need arise. I find one of the big benefits of running a switching system is that if a particular device goes down, the rig is still functional, unlike a large 20+ pedal- board, hooked up in series. Trouble shooting that live would be a nightmare.

• Members
Ben, give it a rest... after listening to your clips, you are really not in a position to discuss good tone.

Yes, that's a compliment

Hmm, good one. Except they're not gear clips, they're demos, recorded with a $30 mic and some free software. You spent thousands to sound like that.

:lol:

• Members

I find one of the big benefits of running a switching system is that if a particular device goes down, the rig is still functional, unlike a large 20+ pedal- board, hooked up in series. Trouble shooting that live would be a nightmare.

People can say what they want about you but that is a great point! If I was a touring musician with a heavy schedule or even if my main source of income came from playing I would consider a switching system. Since I

• Members

Hmm, good one. Except they're not gear clips, they're demos, recorded with a $30 mic and some free software. You spent thousands to sound like that.

:lol:

Demos huh...

Well, clearly you have an issue with me for having a bunch of gear, some of which is apparently beyond the budget restrictions you set forth as acceptable. So be it... I didn't buy the gear I have because it was expensive, or to please/satisfy your ideals. I bought it because I like the way it sounds. I configured the rigs I have the way I did because 1) I can and 2) because it's the most efficient, most flexible way to run things.

In the end, all gear are tools to get a job done and preferences are vastly different, which keeps things interesting. I am not trying to convince you to change what you're doing nor did I start this thread. I came in and answered the OP, with MY take on things, and then answered some questions he had re: MY take on things.

You guys came in here with a giant chip on your shoulders, looking for a confrontation... and found what you were looking for. Congratulations.

What did you contribute???

• Members

Demos huh...

Well, clearly you have an issue with me for having a bunch of gear, some of which is apparently beyond the budget restrictions you set forth as acceptable. So be it... I didn't buy the gear I have because it was expensive, or to please/satisfy your ideals. I bought it because I like the way it sounds. I configured the rigs I have the way I did because 1) I can and 2) because it's the most efficient, most flexible way to run things.

In the end, all gear are tools to get a job done and preferences are vastly different, which keeps things interesting. I am not trying to convince you to change what you're doing nor did I start this thread. I came in and answered the OP, with MY take on things, and then answered some questions he had re: MY take on things.

You guys came in here with a giant chip on your shoulders, looking for a confrontation... and found what you were looking for. Congratulations.

What did you contribute???

I have no problem with owning expensive gear - it's the constant smugness that's annoying.

Archived