Stoner Rock, 2x12 ...0r... 4x10 ???

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

I am asking this question here too, as the "amp-guys" can be a bit slow at the best of times !!!

So . . .

. . . what will you use, given the option . . .

. . . a Peavey50 2x12 combo, or a Peavey50 4x10 for Stoner Rock ?

Think Fu Manch and maybe a bit of Wolfmother in there too.

12' speakers have more low end, right ? ...but four 10'inchers have a bigger total "conal" surface to move more air, not so ?

With Stoner Rock fuzziness, 10'speakers is slightly tighter than bigger 12inch, and will not produce speaker muddiness as quick as the larger 12 inches, correct ?

Which one will be best suited if you can only choose between those two 50watt amps ?

Thanx to all

;)

• Members

That kind of tone needs as much bass as possible, in my opinion. 4x10" I don't think will give you quite enough thump. Neither would 2x12" speakers, but they'd give you much more the sound you're looking for if you mic the cab up. It also means you could add a 2x12" extention cab and have the 4x12" setup thatyou really need for that style of music.

• Members

That kind of tone needs as much bass as possible, in my opinion. 4x10" I don't think will give you quite enough thump. Neither would 2x12" speakers, but they'd give you much more the sound you're looking for if you mic the cab up. It also means you could add a 2x12" extention cab and have the 4x12" setup thatyou really need for that style of music.

I hear you - this will only be the beginning of this, so to say !

Right now, anything is better then the BJr !

And just to confuse everyone even more now . . . just a thought i've been playing with :

...what about the 4x10, w. a 2x15 extention cab ?

Or will the 2x12 w. 2x15 be better ???

Thanx to all so far, and keep 'em comming !

;)

• Members

I've seen stoner rock bands use all kinds of amps, speakers and various combinations of each. We played a gig Saturday with a guy that had killer tone and he was running an Ampeg V-4 into 2 Ampeg 4x12's and an Orange Rocker 30 head into a Marshall 4x10 cab. Killer tone.

• Members

get a 4x10---get a bassy and/or heavy distortion.... maybe a Layne head, and youre on your way... now... if you can afford a good 8x10

I saw Boris this past weekend. They had Sunn Model Ts running into 8x10 cabs. It sounded massive.

That said, go 4x10. Ideally, you're gonna want closed backed though...

• Members

I beg to differ. I have a Boogie style halfback 2x12 (some ambitious carpenter built a copy of the cab with thicker wood) with more kick than Chuck Norris. :poke:

It will dust any 4x12 I've had the opportunity to play through in terms of punch, balls, lowend, and utter clarity. This includes a few Marshalls, a Bogner, a Peavy 5150 cab, and couple of different Ampeg cabs.

Right now I have it loaded with an Alnico Fane AXA12 in the upper section, and an EV12L in the ported lower section. To me it sounds better with this set up than my Bogner 4x12 with V30s did by a long shot, and I loved that cab for the entire two years I had it.

The heavy stuff I play is in the vein of COC, Alabama Thunderpussy, Orange Goblin, HOF, the Melvins, DRI, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc... and the Fanes hold up just fine on their own. However, the mixed pair with an EV and a Fane is just unreal for heavy music. Hell, one EV12L can take everything my Tremoverb has and sound thick as hell doing it; add the rich grind of the Fane to the equation, and it's simply the best my amp has ever sounded. :love:

This cab will go as heavy as you could ever want to without flinching, and sound better on the cleans and mid gain tones than any other cab I've heard. I can also remove the upper bout and replace it with a semi-open back for playing cleaner styles and old school rock. There's detail, clarity, power, punch, sweetness, everything in spades, and I can crank my amp to stupid loud (like 3:00 to max on the master, gain at 12:30-1:00, modern red, hit with a boost and sometimes a sweepable parametric eq) and it sounds thick and punchy the whole way. Personally, I think it smokes just about every heavy tone I've ever heard live or recorded, but I may be biased. :rawk:

With a pair of the Fanes on their own it sounds more vintage in nature; the low end is furrier/raunchier when driven, and the mids just scream when you dig in. When hit with heavy distortion they have a very evil mechanical grind to them. Even at lower volumes there's this rich midrange emphasis/grind, that sounds much more refined and sweet then a v30, or Hot 100, but also meaner and more ripped. There's no harsh mid-spike here, just rich ballsy midrange grind as you crank it. The top end is incredibly detailed, and smooth with a nice sparkle to it. And while it is a little warmer and less percussive the Fane is no slouch in the lowend: it's a very full yet articulate sounding speaker, with great warmth. It's just that my reference for taut kick you in the nuts low end is a pair of EV12L powered by my Tremoverb, and not much can compete with that. :cop:

For cleans the Fanes kick out a taut but sweet low end, rich upper mid brilliance, and clear but smooth treble. If I crank the master on my clean channel with the gain at half I can pick lightly and get angelic cleans, but if I dig in just a bit I get a great vintage clean/crunch tone. This sound kicks all kinds of ass for vintage flavored rock and blues. There's a great deal of articulation both clean and dirty on tap with the Fanes for warm lead tones, and punchy chord work. With the tone control and volume rolled back a bit it can even kick out some sweet jazz tones closed or open back.

Anywhoo, you can play as heavy as you want with the pair of Fanes short of goat raping death grind core and they'll sound killer, hell they'll even sound killer for that IMO, just with a warmer vintage British vibe.

With the two EV's in there it's no contest, the low end and clarity is just unreal, and the average 4x12 can't keep up. The low end will not fart out no matter how high you crank the master, bass and mids. If all I played was metal this would be the set up.

I'm going to load the other mixed pair in my Tremoverb combo, so I can run the semi-open combo with the closed back 2x12. The two Fanes and the two EV's mixed in the two cabs ought to sound hellasweetcleenzoroxorzm3talz!!!!

The cab by design is extra wide in comparison to most vertical 2x12's, about two thirds the width of a 4x12 with ports on both sides of the bottom speaker. Add to that the fact that my particular cab is made with wood the same width as the sides on an Orange or Matamp 4x12.

010104010207010404200710128f88dba909149e

If you see a good deal on one pick it up, even without the EV's as you can always find a pair of used or new EV's to throw in the cab. I was planning on selling one or both of mine, but they sound so kick ass mixed with the Fanes that I'm selling my V30's instead. Unfortunately, good deals on the Fanes like I got are hard to come by ($289 per speaker new, I scored a pair for half that after searching off and on for two years)

Anywhoo, that's my .02

Archived