Tenoken: Did you ever finish your Fuzz pedal?

dap99

• Members

Hey dap

I built it, but it didn't work (beginner's luck! :( ) so I have put it aside for a while. Right now I need a new soldering tip and a fresh outlook on DIY stuff, then I'll come back to it and figure it out.

Which one are you looking at trying?

• Members

I dunno exactly. I may start w/ the booster on the AMZ site, and work towards something simple like the ones you researched. I haven't put a lot of thought into it b/c I've been doing a couple BYOC kits, making a 4-button footswitch for my amp, and then taking that apart b/c my dad build me a pedal board and I'm going to mount and wire the switches right to the board. Needless to say, my wife is a little tired of the attention my soldering iron gets.

I'm almost done w/ the BYOC Screamer. I ordered the PCB and sourced my own parts. The pedal's actually done, but I want to go back in and change one of the clipping mods I did. It's a pretty sweet pedal I have going on. I'll post a pic at some point. But it's basically an 808 w/ a switch that is the "baked mod" (I think that's what it's called) - basically it's just a setting w/ more distortion.

Then I have another switch that has three settings: two settings w/ different diode configurations for different clipping, and the middle position is a diode lift so it's basically a clean boost. So in theory I have two separate 808 'flavors' w/ the regular/max distorion options and then an OCDish type of pedal. It's pretty sweet.

I just have to change one of the diode configurations b/c it sounds too much like the other one.

• Members

Wow, lots going on over there! I'd like to hear more about those.

I thought about getting a Shin Ei Companion Fuzz kit from GGG, to "insure success" on a pedal build. Honestly, I'd like to know that I can build something from the ground up and use it at gigs. A small feat I need to accomplish.

But I've recently been distracted by various other existing fuzz pedals, including the new Barber Fuzz, some of Devi Ever's stuff AND my eyes are still on the prize: a 2-headed Monsterpiece MKII/NPN.

At the end of the day, I would like to have at least 2 or 3 distinct sounding fuzzes in addition to what I can accomplish with my modded Turbo RAT. Something 60's raspy/buzzy bee, something warm/OD-like that cleans up and something thick and mean, with mids! And to be able to say I made one of them. :o

• Members

I'm hoping to have the board finished this wknd. If so, I'll load it w/ my pedals, take a pic and explain everything.

I hear ya about wanting to build somethign from the ground up. I like doing the kits, but now that I'm getting the hang of those, it'll be rewarding to do one from scratch.

I'm not a huge fuzz fan - I mean I like it, but I don't want a bunch of different ones - it just seems that a fuzz is a good first DIY from scratch build.

Archived