Pedals like the Xotic Robotalk?

metallica_00

• Members

I was playing around with the Robotalk pedal in a store not long ago and really enjoyed that random arpeggiator feature...it spit out some really interesting arpeggios and rhythms etc. I had never used a pedal like that before. Are there pedals out there that can do a similar thing? Preferably without the envelope filter (don't need/want that) and maybe a bit cheaper? ;)

• Members

Everything else is pretty much more expensive. You can buy a moog control processor for $350+ and apply its sample and hold output to any pedal with expression input. You can buy a zvex seek wah or ooh wah for $300 as well. Theyre smaller, use less power, and actually work better. The Robotalk is just a clone of a Maestro FSH1 which had both envelope and S&H modes. Youre not too likely to find a similar clone without the envelope part because the entire pedal is based on envelope filtering.

• Members

Similar effects:

ZVex Ooh Wah

Moogerfooger MuRF

Digitech Space Station (has a couple settings that do similar sounds)

Roger Linn Adrenalinn (not quite there but sort of in the ballpark)

All more expensive unfortunately. Frank Zappa used that effect to awesome . . . uh. . . effect on the solo to Ship Ahoy. He would have been using the Maestro unit I s'pose. That solo sold me on that effect.

• Members

Cheaper options include the step functions on the Boss PH3, Digitech HyperPhase and TurboFlange, and the Alesis ModFx units - Philtre, Faze, and Flngr.

+3 - the Alesis units have great sample+hold lfo generators, plus tap tempo on the rate for the S&H

• Members

erectus-label.gif

http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php?page=laboratory

HOLLEY ERECTUS

Sample & Hold Audio Degrader

The Holley Erectus is derived form our love of making messed up sounds. Simply put, this pedal has a hard time being subtle (although it can with some persuasion). Sample and Hold for random arpeggios. Audio degrading for that Crunchy "Lo-fi" tone. You can obliterate your tone, but don't worry about it being too mushy: you can blend in your original tone to keep your highs, and lows just where you need them. Run the S&H into the Degrader and that's where things get interesting

• Members

That pedal is going to rule. For now I need to finish my Maestro FSH1 clone to get back what I lost when I sold the robotalk. Any of the pedals would likely be better than the xotic though because it takes two independant power supplies and is so damn big and tall.

Archived