I think something's wrong with me

jake.lind

• Members
:thu:
Heck yeah!

At the risk of looking conceited, I'm going to count all of my pedals right here, just because I don't know what I have:

BYOC Phaser

BYOC Ultimate Fuzz

BYOC Tremolo

BYOC Screamer

Boss SD-1

MI Audio Blues Pro

Vox V847

/13 DynaRanger

Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz

Jersey Girl Hustlemaker

EHX Big Muff Pi (Russian)

Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive

EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai

EHX Octave Multiplexer

Danelectro French Toast

Danelectro Fish n Chips

Vox V830 Distortion Booster

17!
:eek:

I know I'm missing some, too. What a waste, huh?

Oh wait! I just ordered a Subdecay F-Bomb!

18!!!

I swear I can stop at anytime.

I also have a PODXT :thu:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually go; Drive>Fuzz>Delay>Modulation

Another thing, is the great tone your getting from the amp shinning through with the pedals on? Some pedals seem to alter your tone when they're on - for better or worse depending on the situation.

That very well could be the case. I haven't really listened as to why I don't like the sound of pedals, I just played around with them and realized I didn't like them enough to keep them on my pedal.

• Members

here's the thing jake, there's nothing wrong with
you,
but there is something wrong with you hanging out on this forum. Go spend some time in the EG forum.

But I'm happy with my guitars (only two, thank God), too.

Is there no cure for my lack of GAS? :freak:

• Members

I also have 10 guitars and 4 amps.
:cool:

Maybe I have to much!

Ouch, I've only found a need for two guitars (Strat and Agile), but I think I have 6 amps, if you count the two crappy practice ones and the valve junior head I broke (oops :freak:).

And when it comes to guitar and music, too much is never enough. Rock and roll was founded on excess, who are we to denounce the principals of Rock? :cop:

• Members

Oh and a drum set...and aroudn 15K in recording gear.

What do I win....I could use another pedal!

Now that you mention it, I don't a drum set or a bass rig! Or an electric keyboard!

Or a trumpet! Or a tenor saxophone! All I have is a toneless alto :cry:

• Members

Before you give up on the pedals, switch around the order and see if you like it a bit more.

Also, what type of music are you playing? If you're just playing straight on rock, I could see why you wouldn't use pedals much, if at all.

I play a ton of ambient/noise stuff, so to me pedals are necessary. But, for you that really just may not be the case.

• Members
:love:

What exactly did you do to make your 'board more "undead" (ha ha, sorry, I'm watching Army of Darkness, it slipped.)

Love that film. :love: I phased out all of my cheaper older stuff with assy bypasses. Everything I have is true bypass save for the Boost 'N' Buff, which is a badass buffer. Really adds back treble content, and then some.

• Members

I just thought of something else.

CABLES.

I needed a longer cable a few minutes ago, so I pulled out some cheapy cable I had lying around. Instead of being a normal 6in pedal cable, it's closer to ~10. I plug it in and flip on my amp. All of my treble gone, making the bass sound overwhelming and turning my fuzz into mud. Unplugged it, put a nicer, regular 6in Hosa cable in it's place, and it sounded tons better.

Jake.lind, what kind of cables and patch cables are you using?

• Members
Ever since I started playing out with people. Back in my bedroom-shreddin' period, I used every distortion, overdrive, delay, whatever effect I had. All of them. In a chain. But as soon as I started actually hearing what I sounded like in a live mix, I just cut out more and more of my pedals until none were left.

I'll never again know the joy of anticipating a new pedal in the mail.
:cry:

Cool, then you only have to fret over amps and guitars.

j/k :cool:

• Members

I just thought of something else.

CABLES.

I needed a longer cable a few minutes ago, so I pulled out some cheapy cable I had lying around. Instead of being a normal 6in pedal cable, it's closer to ~10. I plug it in and flip on my amp. All of my treble gone, making the bass sound overwhelming and turning my fuzz into mud. Unplugged it, put a nicer, regular 6in Hosa cable in it's place, and it sounded tons better.

Jake.lind, what kind of cables and patch cables are you using?

Ha ha, I'm actually likely using the same cables you are. I have a twelve foot monster into my the phaser, with 6in Premium Hosa cables patching the board together. I was using the cheap hosa ones, but they were blocking the 9v in on some of my pedals, so I switched to all premium. From there I have another twelve foot monster into my amp. Without my board, I have a twenty foot curly cable straight to amp. I do love my treble, though. I play a strat with 5.5k pickups and a 500k volume pot (to lessen pickup loading inside the guitar) straight into a Vox. I just love the complex high end and string "snap" I'm getting.

Now that I think about it, maybe high end loss is what's making me dislike "pedal" tone. It makes sense. I don't know, I'll have to really listen to my rig again when I get my hands on it. (right now I'm at my girlfriend's rented house while all my gear's at my apartment)

• Members

Love that film.
:love:
I phased out all of my cheaper older stuff with assy bypasses. Everything I have is true bypass save for the Boost 'N' Buff, which is a badass buffer. Really adds back treble content, and then some.

I was actually looking at the BnB. Does it work really well?

I love me some treble boost, too!

• Members

Before you give up on the pedals, switch around the order and see if you like it a bit more.

Also, what type of music are you playing? If you're just playing straight on rock, I could see why you wouldn't use pedals much, if at all.

I play a ton of ambient/noise stuff, so to me pedals are necessary. But, for you that really just may not be the case.

Actually, the pedals are in the order for a reason. The chorus is set to a univibe-y setting (which sounds better before distortion, IMHO), and the phaser is great for both cleans and distortion, so I'd like to have that before the Blues Pro, too. And finally, the SMMH is after the Blues Pro so I won't get the modulation distortion you could get from Delay->Dirt.

I have heard that Reverb->Dirt is pretty sexy, so if anything, I may just buy a reverb pedal next. :cop:

• Members
Ha ha, I'm actually likely using the same cables you are. I have a twelve foot monster into my the phaser, with 6in Premium Hosa cables patching the board together. I was using the cheap hosa ones, but they were blocking the 9v in on some of my pedals, so I switched to all premium. From there I have another twelve foot monster into my amp. Without my board, I have a twenty foot curly cable straight to amp. I do love my treble, though. I play a strat with 5.5k pickups and a 500k volume pot (to lessen pickup loading inside the guitar) straight into a Vox. I just love the complex high end and string "snap" I'm getting.

Now that I think about it, maybe high end loss is what's making me dislike "pedal" tone. It makes sense. I don't know, I'll have to really listen to my rig again when I get my hands on it. (right now I'm at my girlfriend's rented house while all my gear's at my apartment)

Yeah...in my experience the premium Hosa's aren't too bad. I wouldn't say they're anything amazing, but they aren't bad. :idk:

I'd suspect lost high end may be what's causing the issue. Especially if that's a part of your tone that you really like and notice. If that disappears with the pedals, I could see that making you not want to use them.

Have you played straight into the amp with one of the monster cables? The curly cable could be giving you a bit brighter sound. I know when I switched from generic cheap cables to a Fender Vintage Voltage cable I noticed a HUGE increase in high end sparkle.
I don't know enough about Monster cables to really comment on them, but it's worth a shot to see if you keep that high end that you get with the coil cable with the Monster cable.

• Members

Yeah...in my experience the premium Hosa's aren't too bad. I wouldn't say they're anything amazing, but they aren't bad.
:idk:

I'd suspect lost high end may be what's causing the issue. Especially if that's a part of your tone that you really like and notice. If that disappears with the pedals, I could see that making you not want to use them.

Have you played straight into the amp with one of the monster cables? The curly cable could be giving you a bit brighter sound. I know when I switched from generic cheap cables to a Fender Vintage Voltage cable I noticed a HUGE increase in high end sparkle.

I don't know enough about Monster cables to really comment on them, but it's worth a shot to see if you keep that high end that you get with the coil cable with the Monster cable.

Will do. :thu: The reason I was using a twelve foot cable before and after the board was to keep the entire length of cables less than thirty feet, as I am aware of the phenomena of picofarads stealing tone, and that true bypass literally meant the signal was going right through with zero buffering and zero decrease in the impedance of the pickups.

So, honestly, I'm thinking of looking into a BnB and a true bypass looper for the chorus, and I'm leaving the SMMH alone, even though it might not be true bypass.

And the reason I like monster cables is the lifetime warranty on them. I'm not the nicest on my gear, and most new stuff ends up aging something like five years the first six months I have it. I don't abuse my stuff, but I care more for my sound than my look, so I don't put my pedals in boxes when I move them from place to place, I just kind of throw them in a bag (don't tell the collectibles police :wave:), and I only recently got a case for one of my guitars after playing them for three years. :eek: In the same breath, I love powder coating :thu:

• Members

I was actually looking at the BnB. Does it work really well?

I love me some treble boost, too!

Works like a charm. I don't have it set high enough to get into treble-boost mode when engaged, so it's very transparent boost. The treble content I mentioned is just because of the buffer. It's a very subtle addition, and in a great KERRANG-y way. Definitely a high quality buffer, not a "processed" sound at all.

Archived