I think something's wrong with me

jake.lind

• Members

I've found out that I don't like using pedals. I have an AC15, and I just crank the gain all the way up, and ride the volume knob for my clean/low gain/med gain sounds. I have no use for high gain.

Actually, I lied, I use the reverb and tremolo built into the amp on occasion. But that's only one pedal I use. Two footswitches, that's all.

Can anyone help me?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've found out that I don't like using pedals. I have an AC15, and I just crank the gain all the way up, and ride the volume knob for my clean/low gain/med gain sounds. I have no use for high gain.

Actually, I lied, I use the reverb and tremolo built into the amp on occasion. But that's only one pedal I use. Two footswitches, that's all.

Can anyone help me?

I think you may be beyond hope.

:poke: carcass

• Members

jake.lind 1

effects 0

Mo' like jake.lind effects = 0

:cry:

The worst part isn't that I've never used effects, it's that I've spent money on effects. My most expensive = Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai @ ~$220 & Blackstone MOSFET Overdrive @ $234

Both are great pedals, don't get me wrong, but neither of them fit more into the sound that's in my head than guitar, cable, amp.

• Members

How long has this persisted? I go through periods of just loving my tone, but when it gets down to the {censored} at a jam, I always start missing something.

Ever since I started playing out with people. Back in my bedroom-shreddin' period, I used every distortion, overdrive, delay, whatever effect I had. All of them. In a chain. But as soon as I started actually hearing what I sounded like in a live mix, I just cut out more and more of my pedals until none were left.

I'll never again know the joy of anticipating a new pedal in the mail. :cry:

• Members

Ever since I started playing out with people. Back in my bedroom-shreddin' period, I used every distortion, overdrive, delay, whatever effect I had. All of them. In a chain. But as soon as I started actually hearing what I sounded like in a live mix, I just cut out more and more of my pedals until none were left.

I've only ever seen this live once. Guy would not stop fiddling with his delay and his reverb, much to the detriment of the actual song. Shoulda had another guy just for fiddlin with knobs. Sound manipulator/knob fiddler. Christ that was a bad show, but at least it wasn't another hardcore act.

Is your issue with pedals the fact that they make your tone lose immediacy? Because I used to have "dead pedalboard" syndrome, where I could A/B effects/no effects and the difference even untrained ears could hear. I did practices for a while with just an overdrive pedal, and for the most part nothing really suffered, but since I'm the only guitarist it lost a little lushness on parts where there was flanger or phaser. Got all that fixed now, though. My pedalboard actually makes me a little more trebly now.

• Members
Mo' like jake.lind effects = 0

:cry:

The worst part isn't that I've never used effects, it's that I've spent money on effects. My most expensive = Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai @ ~$220 & Blackstone MOSFET Overdrive @ $234

Both are great pedals, don't get me wrong, but neither of them fit more into the sound that's in my head than guitar, cable, amp.

The AC15 doesn't have an effects loop does it? that could be your problem, especially if you're using delay and distortion running effects into the input of the amp.

• Members

The AC15 doesn't have an effects loop does it? that could be your problem, especially if you're using delay and distortion running effects into the input of the amp.

When I ran delay I ran it into a "clean" preamp. I really did like it, and it made some interesting textures and sounds for sure, but I couldn't see me using it enough to keep it in my chain. That's all.

Although I am thinking of having just a modulation board in the rare occasion I decide to try and get a sound I can't get with my fingers. :love:

• Members

I've only ever seen this live once. Guy would not stop fiddling with his delay and his reverb, much to the detriment of the actual song. Shoulda had another guy just for fiddlin with knobs. Sound manipulator/knob fiddler. Christ that was a bad show, but at least it wasn't another hardcore act.

Is your issue with pedals the fact that they make your tone lose immediacy? Because I used to have "dead pedalboard" syndrome, where I could A/B effects/no effects and the difference even untrained ears could hear. I did practices for a while with just an overdrive pedal, and for the most part nothing really suffered, but since I'm the only guitarist it lost a little lushness on parts where there was flanger or phaser. Got all that fixed now, though. My pedalboard actually makes me a little more trebly now.

:love:

What exactly did you do to make your 'board more "undead" (ha ha, sorry, I'm watching Army of Darkness, it slipped.)

Archived