Worst distortion ever?

Mad Hatter

• Members

boss makes a petal called the metalcore. anyone who owns one deserves to be shot.

Word. Who would actually want one of those things?

My friend had a Danelectro Black Coffee metal distortion. Holy {censored} that pedal sounded bad. It was like the distortion from a 10 watt Dean Markley practice amp I once had, in a box.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Arion Distortion originally had me wondering "what were they thinking?". No bass, no aggression, smooth plastic sound. But actually wonderful for atmospheric stuff into reverb etc... It also has a dry/soft output and the main output is the kind of sound that can do some nice effects combos with that.

Arion Hotbox (??) headphone amp, in normal use, is like that without the cool things you can do with it.

DOD's Supra FX55B is also thin like that, but the FX55C seems rather improved (although I haven't made a direct comparison), good natural overdrivey-distortion although it makes it slightly brighter even with tone=0. I think the B version was more choose no highs or no lows while the C never kills the high end. It has one more transistor buffer stage in the circuit as well, due to making the tone network fully passive.

Fuzzes are hard to count here, because in a way they're supposed to sound "bad". I found a Fuzz Mite to be just too broken sounding for me, and BBE's clips of the Free Fuzz really grate on me. Am I the only one that thinks fuzz and single coils are a bad combination? It's like twice the same thing.

• Members

WORST pedal? I dunno - plastic case aside, I actually like those... especially with a few basic and simple mods.

I don't know if it's the all time worst, but I didn't care for the dirt in the DOD G7 at all...

Ewww..I have to agree with that one.

And really the MT-2 is pretty usable with a EQ after it.

• Members

boss makes a petal called the metalcore. anyone who owns one deserves to be shot.

angelhair has one and actually says it's pretty good.

But seriously, you can use just about any pedal/sound if you're creative enough. This really just boils down to taste and maybe a bit of patience and exploration.

• Members

i agree with the digital metalizer. icky. i love my mij hm-2. i can nail sleep's dopesmoker tone with that. well, pretty close, closer than i've ever gotten. plus, belinda butcher and entombed. nuff said. a pedal that will instantly get me flamed for hating is the ds-1. i've tried over and over, different settings, different amps, different guitars, etc, just doesn't do a thing for me. though there are people out there that get a great tone from it. just not me.

• Members

But seriously, you can use just about any pedal/sound if you're creative enough. This really just boils down to taste and maybe a bit of patience and exploration.

Seriously.

For instance, I hear the DOD Thrash Metal is an awesome feedback machine. And my HM-2 is both great as a metal boost with my JCM 800 clone, and is awesome for noisy, messy digital hardcore music. There's another DOD pedal, I think it's the Stereo Reverb, that's supposed to have awful resolution...which would be great as a trash reverb or ultra-short delay.

I guess you have to have a taste for weirder sounds, though, to think about unusual uses.

• Members

I agree more with Funky Chowder and less with PeelingPaint. It's more about what use you put the tone to than some random guy thinking the MT-2 sounds like the piss of heaven.

If tone was as subjective as people say; then certain pedals or brands wouldn't consistently keep coming out on top in an area that isn't really as manipulated by media hype as say, mainstream music. Some tones will just be inherently more likable.

But I ALSO agree that something that sounds "Horrid" might be likable to someone - but it doesn't make it a "good" tone, as almost anything has at least one admirer, and moreso I agree that almost every effect, no matter how harsh or {censored}, can be put to use somewhere.

Personally, I love a lot of "oldschool" digital distortion tones from earlier Digitech and Zoom models even though I mostly prefer analogue equipment.

So Tone is "somewhat" subjective; not "entirely" subjective. This is the same with most things. There is such a thing as an objectively good piece of music, movie, something that for it's time simply had more creative effort and manipulated it's constraints more lovingly and intelligently, but there's ALSO subjective taste; no given person "has" to like it, though they should appreciate it. I don't have to like Classical music since it's so overexposed, but I still recognise it's creative genius. I suppose the "objective worth" would be measured by how many people would like if there was no media manipulation, social pressure, etc. But that doesn't cheapen the worth to any one person's feelings about it. Because some things simply appeal inherently more than others, music and any subsection of it such as tone cannot be entirely subjective.

There is a strong objective element. People have such a black and white view of objectivity - objectivity isn't the same thing as Rand's Objectivism (moral philosophy emphasising absolute right or wrong) - there can be objective "Pushes" towards a particular trend. Just because not everyone likes this amazing br00t4lz tone doesn't mean that there isn't something objectively making it more appealing than other tones of it's type. You have to think in terms of fuzziness. It's the same thing with ethics.

I do find it kinda amusing that a guy with a Rorschach avatar is arguing for Subjectivity :p