Recommend some good patch cables

Noise...

• Members

I'm looking at getting all new cables to match my amp. My current cables are worn out, so I figured some new, snappy looking ones are in order. :D

I'm going for some Fender Vintage Voltage black and white tweed cables for the longer ones - probably a 10 footer and an 18 footer.

However, what do you guys recommend for patch cables? Right now I have some decent Hosa's. They're ok, but I need a few longer ones, and I'd prefer them to be tweed covered as well. Anyone have some suggestions for patch cables that would match the black and white tweed on the Fenders?

• Members

what is your budget and expectation?

~$50 for 5 1ft patch cables? That should be enough, shouldn't it?

As for expectation, I just want good sounding, tweed covered patch cables to match either my amp (red tolex with black and white grillcloth) or to match the black and white tweed Fender cables.

Should I just stick with the Hosas for patch cables, or can I get better patch cables for my budget?

• Members

well that is $10 per patch, which is about average. One thing people never seem to mention about patch cables is that the thickness is important. Ideally you want them skinny so that they fit around pedals better. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. If you want a tweed patch, that may be a problem. Most cables aren't tweeds. I suspect that a tweed is going to be pretty thick. The tweed lava ELC i bought is pretty thick. I wouldn't recommend that for a patch, but you can make it work.

If money is tight, i would recommend the diy route. It'll be about 5-6 dollars for a pair of right angles and anywhere from 40 cents to 2 dollars per foot of cable depending on the cable. That would cost less than $10 per patch.

best-tronics has some tweed cables here http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/guitar/oxygen-free-N.aspx but i don't know how these sound.

You can go with the tweed lava elc. I suspect it is able $1.70 per foot but Mark can tell you more.

My personally favorite to date is the Lava Mini ELC which is about $1.60 per foot from lava but it's not tweed. It is a skinnier cable than the canare or the mogami but thicker than the george L. It is easy to work with and i think it sounds pretty good.

Whatever cable you get, i suggest sticking to one brand. I also think george L is pretty useful to have laying around for the days you want to switch up your pedals.

Archived