MIDI-controlled, non-proprietary, PC-based guitar processing: software/controllers?

Screenery

• Members

I am wondering what some of you fellas use to do computer processing of your guitar signals, and what gear you use to control it (which MIDI stompbox, CC knob boxes, etc.).

I hope to get started with some computer-based signal processing of my guitar, but I don't want to get stuck with some proprietary software or plugs/software that is not midi-controllable.

For example, I just looked at the Axess FX-1 today for the first time, but have no clue what software would work well with it. Could it be used to activate/bypass independent VSTs in a chain, similar to stomping pedals in a simple pedal effects rig? Within what DAW app would one do this, with an unlimited (or at least up to 12) chain of VSTs, and savable patches of VSTs that could be triggered by the patch switches on the FX-1? What other possibilities does it offer, when it comes to operating computer-based effects and signal processing?

The more detail, the better. The less proprietary, the better.

Basic programs I have heard of are the following, but all seem pretty limited:

NI Guitar Rig 3 (can you use other MIDI controllers, other than their OEM one?)

Waves GTR

IK Amplitube

Years in the future, after reading a 900-page manual:

Max/MSP

NOT something I want:

Muse Receptor (so proprietary, in a certain way, and overpriced)

MIDI footcontrollers I've seen:

Axess FX-1

Custom Audio Electronics Rs-10

Behringer FCB1010

Mesa Boogie Abacus

Rocktron MIDI Mate

ART X-11

Tech 21 MIDI Moose

Rocktron All Access

Digitech Control

Lexicon MPX R1 (is this proprietary to Lexicon gear?)

MIDI CC Knobboxes:

Behringer BCF series

Do any decent MIDI footcontrollers exist with CC knob controls?

I couldn't find a thread on this topic, but if you know of one in this forum or another, please post a link.

• Members

On the software front, also check out Revalver: http://www.alienconnections.com/products.htm

I've gigged using a laptop, Guitar Rig 2 and a Behringer FCB1010. It's not my faovurite sound but it's possible to gig with it. I've also used GR2 and Amplitube with an Atomic Reactor amp that certainly makes everything sound a bit better. The FCB1010 is a really good piece of kit. Behringer often gets a kicking and sometimes rightly so but this thing has stood up to a fair amount of abuse in its time.

Guitar Rig has better effects, Amplitube has better amp models. Not tried the FCB1010 with Amplitube. I like the Revalver demo a lot.

• Members

On the software front, also check out Revalver:
http://www.alienconnections.com/products.htm

I've gigged using a laptop, Guitar Rig 2 and a Behringer FCB1010. It's not my faovurite sound but it's possible to gig with it. I've also used GR2 and Amplitube with an Atomic Reactor amp that certainly makes everything sound a bit better. The FCB1010 is a really good piece of kit. Behringer often gets a kicking and sometimes rightly so but this thing has stood up to a fair amount of abuse in its time.

Guitar Rig has better effects, Amplitube has better amp models. Not tried the FCB1010 with Amplitube. I like the Revalver demo a lot.

Agreed. I love my FCB, especially after putting in the UNO firmware mod. I also love Guitar Rig's effects (Micro synth :love:) but am not a fan of the amp models. I've run it as an "effects processor" before, running in the EFX loop of my amp and then using the amp's preamp for distortion.

• Members

Can you rewire or bus GR to Amplitube, in order to use GR's Effects and Amplitube's amp modeling?

But anyway, I would likely be using this only for effects, not amp modeling.

Do GR or Amplitube allow you to insert non-NI or non-IK VSTs into the effects chain? I couldn't find an answer to this on their websites.

If they don't allow you to insert other manufacturer's/developer's VSTs, is there some similar less proprietary program that does allow you to do this?

• Members

You could just run them as VST instruments within whatever audio programme you like.

Revalver does let you insert VST plug-ins into the chain. Now whether you could insert GR2 into Revalver, I'm not sure. I might try the demo out again. But I did try out some little VSTs in there and they worked really well.

• Members

You could just run them as VST instruments within whatever audio programme you like.

Revalver does let you insert VST plug-ins into the chain. Now whether you could insert GR2 into Revalver, I'm not sure. I might try the demo out again. But I did try out some little VSTs in there and they worked really well.

...AND turn the VSTs on and off via a MIDI footpedal controller? Could you tell me in which programs I can do this, and how? Sorry, I'm a Pro Tools LE guy who needs to break out of his DAW. PTLE does not let you turn VSTs/RTASs on or off via MIDI, to my knowledge.

I know that it is easy to assign CC controls to most VSTs in programs like Cubase, Nuendo, or Reaper, but do these programs allow you to assign controls to bypass or activate a VST in your chain? How does one do it? Thank you.

• Members

Right, I've just reinstalled the Revalver demo, something I storngly recommend you do. Go and have a play! You might find it crashes a bit, if so install Asio4all, a free download on the same website. It'll get everything working.

Revalver definitely allows you to insert VST effects into the signal path. For example I've just inserted the Kjaerhus Audio auto-filter in there and very nice it sounds too. You can put the effects after amps and speakers or before.

Amplitube and CC commands - I haven't a clue with Amplitube. I haven't tried out the FCB1010 with it so I can't help there.

Guitar Rig 2 - I have run this within Cubase LE in the past. Gr 2 would exist as one solitary VST effect on its own. Within that solitary effect, you would have different patches. So say you have Patch 1 which looks like this:

Fuzz Face

Tube Screamer

Delay

Vox AC30 amp

2x12" speaker cabinet

You could set pedal 1 on the FCB to turn off the Fuzz Face, pedal 2 to do the TS etc etc.

Now as for using the FCB1010 at the same time to turn off VST plug-ins used on the same track that's using GR2 as an effect... woooo. Really not sure on that one.

I suspect that Revalver might be a good bet. I'm unsure as to what the MIDI capabilities are with Revalver. In this program you can choose to add in a VST effects host, basically treating it like a stompbox. You load multiple hosts, each containing one VST effect. You might then be able to program the MIDI controller to turn off each host. Whether yoou could then program the controller to output MIDI code to alter funcitons within the VST effect itself, I don't know.

Archived