EQ really Necessary?

17SS

• Members

Most of, if not all of my setup is composed of all pedals that are true bypass. I use evidence audio lyric HG cables and George L's for connecting my pedals. I am going to be getting the VHT valvulator line driver and the furman power factor pro for my amp.

I have been wondering lately if an EQ pedal would make the mix sound better. I have an MXR 10 band (not sure if its true bypass) and I have been thinking of getting the boss GE-7 EQ. if I did get it, I would get a cmat mod or a humphrey mod. IDK, I just looked at the other post for the guy building his board, and it seems my question is answered.

at this point, would it just degrade my tone?

if it helps, I use a lot of dynamics in my playing, I play blues, and rock (I have been into Tool a lot lately).

• Members

If you want to know whether it will be useful to you, experiment with the EQ you have before you spend any extra money- sure, the other EQs may sound better, but if you hate how your tone sounds with the MXR you've already got, why bother?

Start with it set flat and work out how each of the sliders affects the tone you hear out of your amp, then tweak to your heart's content. I'd imagine you'll get better results from SMALL tweaks for your purposes- extreme boosting or cutting is going to make for extreme changes to your sound.

Having looked at the GE-7 mods on a couple of sites (Monte Allums and CMAT), it seems all they're intended to do is reduce noise and clarity- if your existing EQ already sounds clear and quiet TO YOU, it's money for old rope IMO.

• Members

Well i have the sniper ge-7 kit installed in my ge-7. It takes a lot of the hiss away and makes it a better overall pedal. But i only use it to boost my solo's. If you are not happy with the shape of your tone you just haven't found the right amp yet in my opinion. Adding a always-on EQ degrades your tone rather than adding to it. Especcialy true with sweet tube amps, it takes a lot of the warmth away and makes it sound more processed. EQ's are tools for PA guys anyway, adding the finishing touches to your sound based on the acoustics of the venue you are playing.

Archived