Anyone into recording? I'm looking at getting a decent setup.

EvilSoup

• Members

I have gotten good results, and getting better, with two Samson Q1U's and a Samson CO1U, these are all USB mics based on Samsons studio mics. I run these straight into my Toshiba lap top and record and mix with Kristal Audio Engine or Audacity (both free software).

Simple, cheap way to go for really some decent recordings.

I also have a 1/4 inch to USB cable that I got at Target I have yet to record with, and am looking into a couple XLR to USB adaptors to add. to the package.

• Members

Looks kinda nice, but I have absolutely no experience with your setup. I just use a cheap mic into a cheap mic pre-amp into my computer. I really need to get around to getting another mic. I use Sound Forge, too.

edit:
I meant to post in this thread, but I posted in the one on the recording thread. I deleted it, and then posted it in here. Don't ask why. It seems like an awful lot of work.

• Members
Looks kinda nice, but I have absolutely no experience with your setup. I just use a cheap mic into a cheap mic pre-amp into my computer. I really need to get around to getting another mic. I use Sound Forge, too.

I've been doing that for a while now, and it just isn't cutting it anymore.

I have no experience with the setup I'm getting, I am hoping I'll figure it out though. :)

• Members

I think you listed a pretty solid setup to get started. The only substitution I would make is perhaps a Presonus Firepod instead of the Tascam 1082. The Firepod just went down to $399 and has eight mic pres as opposed to the four of the Tascam. The whole fader setup is a little redundant in my opinion...

Then, take your $160 you just saved and apply it to some decent mic pre down the road. Something like an FMR RNP or Groove Tubes' Brick would be ideal.

• Members

How many inputs do you need to record simultaneously?

Do you have a mac or PC?

I'd suggest Firebox (not pod) unless you need more than 2 ins at a time, plus some decent mics - a SM57 or e609 for guitar cab plus some half-decent condenser for vocals--run into that firewire preamp and you're set. Get a decent pair of headphones if you don't already.

Archived