Anyone use a Bixonic Expandora?

mike.sartori

• Members

i've got an Expandora II and used to like it but don't any more... it is very harsh to my ears, nothing close to the billy gibbons sound, even with the gain and drive set low. billy gibbons had 6 expandoras arranged in a statue of a dog that he kept on stage referred to as "the lapdog of distortion"... i always figured it was more of a prop than a piece of equipment. i recently saw a picture of him playing and it looked like the expandoras had been replaced by some kind of z-vex pedal in the lapdog of distortion.

just my 2 cents.

• Members

:wave::thu:

I've got an original. I love it. I've heard the second version doesn't hold a candle to it (shoddier quality, not as good sounding, and no fuzz) and I've heard very positive things about the third version. Although I haven't used either of them so I really can't compare it.

I've been using mine for years, it was one of the first pedals I ever bought. It's sturdy as hell, and I bought it used. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about too many of the settings because I've been using it on "forbidden" for as long as I can remember and honestly I'm too lazy to take it off my board, unscrew the back, and play with the switches. Especially, when I already have a good overdrive and a really good distortion.

As for the fuzz: it's heavy, thick, and great. I've often heard it described as pretty "gated." Loads of gain, infinite sustain, harmonics galore, insane amounts of volume (I usually keep the volume around 9 o'clock for unity). Lots of feedback (the good kind) too. Although you can get a little bit of the bad kind occasionally with single coils but nothing unlike any other very high gain fuzz. I usually run it after my TS9. Despite everything I've read and heard, I've actually found it to be very usable. I keep the gain around 10 o'clock, the tone around 2:30ish and the volume to how ever much I want it to boost (never had to go above 10 o'clockish though, this thing is HUGE). Don't really know how to compare it to a fuzz face or a muff because I've had no where near as much experience playing either kind as I have using this. I can use it as everything from a more fuzzy boost (I even used to use it for the solo in "Mary Jane's Last Dance" when my band used to cover that. A little heavier then Petty did it but it never sounded out of place.) to whacked out Hendrix-y stuff, to more smoother Gilmourish stuff. I've really found it to be pretty versatile. God now that I'm done writing this I have only this to say: what a great pedal. I'm gonna go play in a minute.

• Members

I have an original also, and also generally use it in the "forbidden" setting. As an overdrive, it sounds a little harsh and metalic to me (I usually describe it as sounding like it looks...a tin can). The distortion setting is pretty good, but that forbidden fuzz setting is like nothing else. For me, it's totally sludgy and unpredictable, to the point where sometimes you hit a note and get an unexpected explosion of sound, or sometimes get nothing at all. You just have to play and let what happens happen. I don't use it that much anymore, but love to kick it on when I'm feeling sloppy and want to experiment. I would say it's not a pedal for everyone, but if you like some crazy fuzz its amazing. And I wouldn't compare the fuzz setting to a big muff or a fuzz face...it's probably closer to crazy fuzz factory settings or some off the wall Devi stuff...possibly an Ultra-lord.

Archived