Best Phaser with gain?

adamthemute

• Members

Just wondering if you know of a particular phaser out there that sounds great with distortion. I find the Boss PH-1r distorts a little easily, but it still sounds great.

The Red Witch Moon Phaser clips didn't really do anything for me, but the pedal still interests me. Also a Retro-Sonic Phaser.

:freak:

• Members

Right now I have a MI Audio Crunchbox and a Boss DS-1. I'm probably grabbing a Zvex Box of Metal but I need to hear clips first.

That's great to hear that it sounds best with fuzz though. I'm getting a fuzz pedal after I sell some stuff, haven't decided on a Skreddy Mayo or a D*A*M Meathead.

• Members
Actually I haven't, I'll try that when Ii get home. I always thought it as modulation but is it a filter like a wah?

i always considered phasers as modulation too, still do really, but they are kind of filter-ish.
it was only after seeing a few threads here that made me try it.
definately worth a try though :thu:

• Members

just so you know, i have the mxr phase 90, and it doesnt sound that great with distortion : (, i used to have it after distortion, but it was tooooo dramatic of an effect, so i placed before my distortion, and it sounds A LOT better, but i'm not completely satisfied,i like how it sounds but nothing great about it, i guess it gets the job done. but i dont know if all phasers sound like that?

• Members

Phaser's aren't exactly a filter as such(or "just" a filter) but they do use a comb filter, and they do "Warble" like a lot of filter effects do. Flange doesn't really warble. Chorus does something similiar to Warbling.

Phasers work by putting things in and out of phase at different frequencies in differing amounts; flanging only does it all over. That's why flanging tends to sound harsher, and phaser more like a Wah. It also sounds less organic; Phasers sound alien since they sound like something organic would make it but nothing like any organism we know. Though flanging is often used in songs with "Organics" in title, or that generally make you think of zooming in on the cells of a leaf. I guess Flanging is more primal and SCIENCE sounding. Phasing tends to be more transparent as it responds in a more dynamic-seeming manner. I'm thinking the reason the Moon Phaser sounds so good and natural is that it's comb filter is more complex than something like a Phase 90 or Small Stone.

• Members

I started off with a Boss PH-3 phaser. I liked it quite a bit. 4-, 8-, 10-, and 12-stage phasing, "Rise" and "Fall" features, and a CRAZY sounding "Step" feature. It worked with high-gain stuff really well for me.

Then I traded that and got a used Russian (Sovtek) EHX Small Stone. It sounded really warm and good. Worked great with high-gain stuff as well.

Then I traded that and got an Akai Intelliphase. It has a relatively cool "cut-off" feature, where it triggers on or off based on a volume threshold knob. But it did NOT work well with high-gain stuff.

So then I traded the Akai and went back to the Boss. It felt like welcoming an old friend back into my home.

Then I sold the Boss along with my entire pedalboard to pay off some debt.

Now I want a Moogerfooger 12-stage phaser.

Archived