oT: fuel injector cleaner 4 my 99 jeep: scam, engine breaker, or good/recommended???

hangwire

• Members

I have a '99 Jeep Wrangler sport that had been making the check engine light come on, code reads misfire in cylinder 6... the engine seems out of time here and there, but otherwise runs fine.

I am getting a tune up [87k miles now] this week, but someone recommended that I use some of that fuel injector cleaner, as that might be all teh engien needs to stop that code from happening.

However, I remember in auto tech that these fuel injector products were a scam and actually worse for the engine because all they did was put some teflon type stuff in, which was a quick fix, but also lead to that stuff causing problems later in the engine... but that was in the mid 1990s when I took that class.

so I wanted to know if I was misinformed back then, or if nowadays these products are better... any info would be great...

• Members

Injector cleaner can mess up your seals and fuel lines if you use way too much. But adding one bottle just before you fill your tank will be just fine. Lucas makes the best stuff IMO, small skinny bottle. I use it every other month. Works great.

Archived