el84 users. how long do the tubes usually last

mrweems

• Members

A friend of mine has had the same Mullards going for years. He isn't sure on the actual length of time of wonership. He runs a Vox AC30, maybe half-power at most. He reckons he's played at least 50 gigs with it. It might just be variable. Depends on the quality of tubes, how hard you push them, whether your mains transformer blows and {censored}s your tubes like mine did once...

• Members

ok. well something blew.

its either the rectifier or the power toobs..

it blew my 1/2amp fuse.

and i've consulted teh manual. and a tech at drz.

maunal says rectifier.

tech says power

i'm a college student with limited funds.. ugh.

damn. which one to buy?

rectifier or power?

all three tubes glow. They don't look like bad tubes. They were relatively new when i got the amp. I think maybe 2 months old with studio use?

Any advice? I have a show in a week.. .Yeah...

• Members

You buy neither. You take the amp to a tech and have them check it out. I'm going on the caution side because I've just paid out nearly $400 to have my amp repaired. Mains transformer was {censored}e, sent out enough current to blow one of the EL84s and crack it so the glass shattered without collapsing entirely. My repairman said it took about four hours to figure out what was wrong with it and that it blew tons of fuses. Now he's got it working again and said that I was lucky that {censored}ty transformer didn't slag the entire PCB board. Still, $400 is a fair whack of cash.

So Maz Jr, valves like this? http://www.drzamps.com/maz18.html

2 - EL-84

Preamp Tubes: 4 - 12AX7, 1 - 12AT7

You said all three tubes glow. Are we talking the EL84s and the rectifier?

• Members

If at all possible, get a new rectifier and new power tubes and try them all out. When the one that currently works goes, you'll be set. ...Is there a shop you could go to where you could quickly try new power tubes and a new rectifier?

• Members

There's a bad batch of Sovtek rectifiers out there that have been blowing 1/2 amp fuses in Maz 18 amps. There's a thread documenting it over at the Z forums. I'd bet that if you replaced the rectifier, the problem would go away. Twenty bux at GC.

thanks for the tip. i guess ill buy the rectifier first. and then ill hit the power tubes if thats the case.

• Members

Not EL84s, but I have my old 6V6s back in. EHX ones lasted maybe 6 mos. of about 10 hours & turn-ons a week. The old RCAs still sound as good as those after 11-12 years including 100s of hours at "11" and a winter I ran it all night as supplemental room heat.

So it depends.

Archived