I think i'm getting screwed on Ebay.. any advice?

gambit

• Members

So i bought the pedal with buy it now. Auction ended 12th October, payment made Sunday 14th October with Paypal.

So i was expecting the pedal to be sent maybe a couple of days after that to arrive within maybe 10 working days. nothing arrives.

i send a message to the seller and he/she responds on Sunday 28th with:

"Hi there. I will be sending the pedal on Monday. The Trancastion from Paypal to my bank account has only just completed yesterday. It takes a lot longer with some banks. The pedal will be with you asap. Thanks "

I don't know how the rest of you guys use paypal, but once the payment transaction arrives on my paypal account, i send the pedal out straight away, because it's a given that the money is being transferred into my bank at that stage... right?

anyway, i don't over-react and just say something like "thanks, can you confirm when it's been sent so i can look out for it" - i don't want to get pissy with the seller at this stage so i don't question the delay and i want the pedal to arrive. and he says he's sending it the next day.

so it gets to the 7th November and nothing.. so i write:

"Hi. Could you let me know what's happening with this pedal please?

i don't want to jump to conclusions, but the time its taken to get it sent and your lack of response to my last message is quite worrying.

if you haven't managed to post it yet, i'm not going to get angry and leave negative feedback but i would ask that you send it asap. or at least reply to let me know what's happening.

i don't want to resort to filing a complaint against you with Ebay and claim my money back through Paypal, but i will if it becomes necessary.

Like i said, at this moment i don't want to threaten you with negative feedback, and i wouldn't leave a bad comment if you can get the pedal to me soon.

Please let me know. Thanks"

So its now the evening of the 9th.. no response..

time to open a dispute? (the 45 day rule for opening a dispute isn't far off).

give him/her benefit of the doubt.. guess they haven't been able to get to the internet to reply to my last message - ie wait til the weekend is over in case he/she was away this week?

Try and track the gashwipe down and knock on the door (i have emailed the one other previous buyer who never received an item from this person and asked if they have the sellers address).

Plan D?

any advice would be much appreciated. especially about the dispute process - does it take long, do you always get your money back?

this is my first issue with a seller on ebay. i've never had an issue with any of the 40 or more transactions, mostly trades (based solely on trust) i've done with people from this great forum.

its really disheartening..

• Members

Open a dispute with PayPal. It doesn't automatically mean that the deal is off -- it just means that through Paypal, you've opened an inquiry into the transaction. The seller can still send the pedal (or send proof that it's been sent) or he can give you a refund. If there is no action, PayPal shoudl rule in your favor and hopefully, return your $$ soon.

c

• Members

i've asked for a tracking reference, but you only usually get that with a next day specialdelivery. the auction advertised 1st class royal mail which is 3-5 days and no tracking number (not something i usually like, but still).

the paypal account is set up with a debit card linked to my current account. i'm a staff member for the bank so there may be additional help to hand if necessary..

• Members

File a dispute. I had a problem once with a guy who just wouldn't communicate with email, even after warnings. I filed a dispute and it arrived the same day by coincidence. I just dropped the dispute. Get the ball rolling asap. I would have responded to the first email saying I was going to file a dispute if he waited for his money to go to his bank. That would have stopped the money.

• Members

what's thier feedback like?

not perfect. 84 transactions, 97.7%, one negative feedback earlier this year followed by 4/5 positive feedback since - although those were where the twat was the payer and not the payee.

it was a risk, but i'd been waiting on this pedal to arrive on ebay forever and it came up at the perfect buy it now price -

• Members
not perfect. 84 transactions, 97.7%, one negative feedback earlier this year followed by 4/5 positive feedback since - although those were where the twat was the payer and not the payee.

it was a risk, but i'd been waiting on this pedal to arrive on ebay forever and it came up at the perfect buy it now price -

• Members

+1 on the Paypal dispute suggestions. Although coming more from a sellers POV it'd be nice of you to wait until as close to the 45 day limit as possible. I've had some buyers freak out after a couple weeks and open disputes and it turns out the package was delayed by customs, delivered to a non-communicative family member, etc.

Best of luck though!

• Members

just completed a Paypal dispute - and I got my money back. no problem. file the dispute. you can ask EBay for the seller's info - but be aware that they give the seller YOUR info at the same time. I considered visiting my offender in person - but Paypal dispute got my money so what do I care.

Archived