snarling dogs modulator/wah?

peppersfan

• Members

The expression pedal can control the wah, or the ring mod oscillator frequency. The "ring mod" circuit itself is built around a 565 PLL chip, so it is similar in sound and behavior to the old Craig Anderton ring modulator project circuits from Electronic Projects for Musicians (and likely can be modified in the same way as those can). The internal oscillator does bleed into the output slightly, and I'm not sure that the circuit allows it to be completely removed, even with a 10-turn trimpot.

Haven't played with mine for a while (I play trumpet through it) so I don't remember a lot of the details. It's a large pedal and fairly heavy; not a bad pedal if you can get one cheap.

Ring mods in general are most useful in a musical sense if you set them to a fixed frequency, preferably one that corresponds to a note in the key in which you're playing. For more detail, go here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=21413786#post21413786

• Members

you use a trumpet through it, huh? sounds interesting. i've heard of a sax player using whammy before - wouldn't think it would sound the best. thanks for a little info. i see some of snarling dog's more basic models go really cheap used, but i doubt i'll be as lucky with this one. does the bleeding modulator sound only appear with the modulator settings or does the straight wah turn it off?

• Members

The expression pedal can control the wah, or the ring mod oscillator frequency. The "ring mod" circuit itself is built around a 565 PLL chip, so it is similar in sound and behavior to the old Craig Anderton ring modulator project circuits from
Electronic Projects for Musicians
(and likely can be modified in the same way as those can). The internal oscillator does bleed into the output slightly, and I'm not sure that the circuit allows it to be completely removed, even with a 10-turn trimpot.

Haven't played with mine for a while (I play trumpet through it) so I don't remember a lot of the details. It's a large pedal and fairly heavy; not a bad pedal if you can get one cheap.

Ring mods in general are most useful in a musical sense if you set them to a fixed frequency, preferably one that corresponds to a note in the key in which you're playing. For more detail, go here:

That's fantastic. I love using ring mods with an expression pedal, I think that's when they really shine. Well, if I had my way every effect would be foot-controlled. So, just to make sure I have this straight, I could theoretically use this pedal as ring mod-only, controlling the frequency with the foot pedal?

• Members

you can use the pedal as a ring mod only, or a as a wah only, it has three wah options, or you can use it as a wah and ring mod together,

you can use the pedal to control the frequency of the ring mod or you can have the ring mod stationary if you want (slightly deeper sounding this way)

the bypass on the pedal is not great, (read awful)

the sounds this pedal make are not great, i was really interested in the pedal for ages until i got one, i love ring mods but this isnt a great one,

the idea of it is great but there are better alternatives for this sound, the ring mod sound is more ring modish than actual ring mod, none of the wahs sounds were usable imo, mostly too thin sounding, and always either too dull or too harsh,

i replaced my mold spore with a co-pilot android, you can plug an expression pedal into that too to control the frequency, its a much better ring mod and i wish i knew about it before getting the snarling dogs one

just my opinion, you might love the pedal but you might want to try it and few other ring mods out first,

• Members
you can use the pedal as a ring mod only, or a as a wah only, it has three wah options, or you can use it as a wah and ring mod together,

you can use the pedal to control the frequency of the ring mod or you can have the ring mod stationary if you want (slightly deeper sounding this way)

the bypass on the pedal is not great, (read awful)

the sounds this pedal make are not great, i was really interested in the pedal for ages until i got one, i love ring mods but this isnt a great one,

the idea of it is great but there are better alternatives for this sound, the ring mod sound is more ring modish than actual ring mod, none of the wahs sounds were usable imo, mostly too thin sounding, and always either too dull or too harsh,

i replaced my mold spore with a co-pilot android, you can plug an expression pedal into that too to control the frequency, its a much better ring mod and i wish i knew about it before getting the snarling dogs one

just my opinion, you might love the pedal but you might want to try it and few other ring mods out first,

Ahh, thank you. I didn't realize the Android had expression pedal options. I really want to get the Akira and just control all parameters via MIDI, that would be boss. If only I could find one...:freak:

Archived