which Overdrive????

xraven7x

• Members

looking for an overdrive to boost solos maybe creamy leads or puting it in front of overdriven amp, to get more bottom and clarity... I was looking at the maxon od808/ od-9 or a bbe green machine or even an ibanez ts808/ ts-9 which would be better

• Members

IMHO I would go for the Maxon OD808 jsut sounds the best to my ears whether you run on the clean channel for some good mild overdrive sounds or use it to boost the dirt channel for some crazy lead/metal tones. I know a lot of metal bands use this specific pedal to do that(shadows fall, killswitch engage, as i lay dying)

• Members

looking for an overdrive to boost solos maybe creamy leads or puting it in front of overdriven amp, to get more bottom and clarity... I was looking at the maxon od808/ od-9 or a bbe green machine or even an ibanez ts808/ ts-9 which would be better

Word - Gain Stage Red. I use mine in just that fashion and if girth, chewy mids and top end clarity is your thing that is what I suggest.

Now many use the GSR for Robben Fordish tone but I do just what you are looking to do so I ain't no RF clone. I push a overdriven amp with it and it hurts in a good way. :)

http://www.jettergear.com/

• Members

Yeah i'm debating as well between a Maxon OD-808 and a Ibanez TS-9, but with KsE/Shadows Fall/As I Lay Dying/Unearth all using the Maxon OD-808 it's sort of swaying my decision. Say what you want about metalcore, i just like the tone.

Then on the other hand the TS-9 is used by Amott in Arch Enemy and I believe the BFMV guys.

• Members

If you have any soldering skills, I would suggest checking out Bild Your Own Clone - 808 clone. Not only is the kit simple to make, but the forums have basic diagrams for easy mods. I just made one that has 3 diode choices and a normal/high gain switch.

If you're interested, PM me, I can make you one similar to mine for much less than the Maxon. Seriously, I'm no pro by any means, but I like putting these together and I'm really happy w/ mine. Sounds way better than my modded TS9!

• Members

check out the HBE Power Screamer....crazy good stock/modded TS vibe with even more options tacked on. They often go on e(vil)bay for $90-$130 depending on options. Everybody who owns one absolutely loves it, yet they never really seem to get much hype around here. Great company with good customer support as well from my personal experiences.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

• Members

dont get the bbe, just test out the ts808 and ts9 and which ever one you like, get the maxon version, so if u like the ts808 get the maxon od808, and if u like the ts9 get the maxon od-9, the maxons warm, thats what my friend had to do because a store didnt carry maxon, only ibanez TS's

Archived