Crunch Box Vs New Jekyll and Hyde Vs Tonelab LE

Dragonsoni

• Members

I currently play a Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall BluesBreakers (30 watt version) and a Vox AC30CC1. Basically using non-master clean amp settings. I like the note articulation from these amps. I would think the right pedals would do the trick. I am even debating getting a Marshall JVM ampilfier but would perfer to use what I have.

I own and Fulltone OCD V3 and a Boss MT-2 (aka Metal Zone). Which I feel are both kind of lacking that real amp sound even though the OCD gets much love here.

Crunch Box Vs New Jekyll and Hyde Vs Tonelab LE??

I like 80's, 90's and modern rock and metal tones/distortion with AC/DC crunch for good measure.

I am tempted to try a Tonelab LE but I feel running this into the Marshall BluesBreaker maybe blasphemous.

Any advice on getting good tones would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - I guess its only money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an old Jekyll and Hyde the new crunch box and a tonelab le.

When comparing the crunch box and the J and H i dial in very similair settings.The J&H beat out the crunchbox and stays on my board.I use a Fender Super Reverb btw.

I use the Tonelab for smaller gigs either direct to the board or into the front of a fender solid stae amp. Sounds great for what it is.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I played a Jekyll and Hyde this weekend, so I'll give you a review of it.

The Jekyll side was a really nice OD. I liked it. Sounded exactly like my TS9, with the addition of a bass boost.

I didn't like the Hyde as much, though. It had a good sound, but sounded too scooped and "metal" to me. It might be good for what you want it for, though.

With both sides together, the pedal made a cool fuzz-like sound.

• Members

I had the Jeckyll & Hyde and "liked" it, but it never quite did it for me - especially the Hyde side. With the addition of a BBE Sonic Stomp, it sounded better. But then I got hooked up with the Indyguitarist Plextortion which, IMHO, totally blew it away - very natural, hot-rodded Marshall tones with a lot of depth. Since my pedals got stolen, I'm planning on replacing it with the Ecstasy Drive from Indyguitarist. Here's a couple videos of the Ecstasy pedal:

Oh, and here's an old video of the Plextortion:

• Members

I use the Jekyll and Hyde as my main dirt pedal, and love it. The Hyde side is fine, I think, though the "sharp" setting can be a bit biting. The "blunt" setting provides a really round, southern rockish kinda lead that I dig, and as people have said, the OD is great.

Archived