Mark Ronson - die.

HeartfeltDawn

• Members

It's rare nowdays that I really seethe about popular music. It's an entity that isn't worth getting angry about. But today's visit to the gym changed all of that. Trying to work out whilst Mark Ronson's continually playing is very difficult.

Then coming home and checking out the Myspace page of the current NME editor Conor McNicholas gets me even worse:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=32657722&blogID=202119526

"Mark Ronson. The man has more talent in the tip of his dick then most artists can steal from the 1960s. I totally fell in love with his cover of Radiohead's 'Just' ({censored}. just realised I never put that in my tracks of the year this issue. sod) but I've now got the sampler in for his forthcoming covers album. I won't bang on about the whole thing (it's, like, ace) but the track that's got me blogging is his version of the Kaisers' 'Oh My God' with Lily Allen on vocals. It's amazing - dead laid back, loads of trademark brass, sneery vocal... no 'wooooaaaah's."

The sad thing is that Ronson probably has got more talent than most artists around right now. That says more about the lack of musical greatness out here now in the UK than Ronson's talent. Adding brass sections over other people's music does not a genius makes.

• Members

As a cover song guy, he's awesome. It takes talent to make a song into something new. What he did with that Radiohead song is very clever imo, no different to Cake doing I Will Survive. Compare that to when McFly covered Dont Stop Me Now a few months back and the arrangement of everything was exactly the same as Queen. Now that is worth hating.

• Members

the guy is a glorified DJ.

the soulwax DJ's have done much better mixes. along with 100 other DJ's.

But yes the guy does have a good ear for mixes etc blah blah.
that comment from the NME editor guy is ridiculous though, but in saying that he is the editor of NME, the mag that hypes the nearest thing it see's as long as its british and has cool hair.

There is musical greatness out there atm, its just not in the mainstream. same old {censored} tbh.

• Members

What's vaguely good about his cover of Just? He has brass instruments playing the guitar lines. A big wibbly bouncy bassline, some proto-funk drumming and a bit of nasty nothing guitar. It's a new arrangement but it's not a good arrangement. I can't think of anything he's down that has blown me away. Cover version after cover version, slap the brass on and his whole album is mixed horribly. Compression city, here we come.

I freely admit I hate most cover versions. Cake doing I Will Survive is so absolutely anoynmous, it could almost be Ronson-esque.

I don't think any person can be said to be a monstrous talent if they're mainly doing cover versions. That goes for Mark Ronson or any number of blues dudes playing the old tracks.

• Members

I think Ronson is a right Knob. He really did kill Stop Me If You Think that you've heard this one before (The Smiths)... purley because I adore the smiths, and half the kids think its one of Ronsons own tunes, where as its not... and not to mention that Daniel Merriweather, he sounds like {censored}. Sorry, but morrisey is morrisey, so leave it to him.

And - who the {censored} likes the NME anyway? If they say somthing is good, the only people that listens is the kids.

• Members

Nope, he turns into music that bores me. You take tracks by Radiohead and the Smiths and turn them into bland boring coffee-table 'All Bar One' music. Get in some currently fashionable singers (ladies Winehouse and Allen), select some fashionable acts and then let the boredom begin.

I was thinking about the cover versions I do like and each time, it's someone making that song their own too without losing sight of respecting the creator. I think of Brian Wilson's arrangement of Sloop John B. I think of Oasis doing I Am The Walrus. Right now after learning how to play it I think of Jeff Buckley doing Halleluhjah (I love Rufus Wainwright but his version doesn't even come close to Buckley's arrangement).

Then I think of Ronson doing his version of Bob Dylan's "Most Likely You Will Go Your Way (& I'll Go Mine)". Hurrah! More {censored}ing brass! More music compressed to {censored} that utterly lacks dynamics!

I don't question that Mark Ronson has talent. It's talent that never strays into anything dazzling.

And just to show I don't hate all cover versions, here's the Flaming Lips at SXSW doing Bohemian Rhapsody.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsKcd-xGGE

• Members

I like the byrds cover of Dylan's 'mr. tamborine man'

....and I like Husker Du's cover of the byrds 'eight miles high'

oh and the cover of the Beatles 'happiness is a warm gun' on the Breeders 'Pod' album.

I'm generally not a fan of covers though.

I don't even know who this guy is we are discussing!!

Archived