NOVA vs. TIMEFACTOR DELAYS DElays delays delay

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

Att. all delay guru's and fans of delay !

Just read the Oct. ishooo of the Britt guitar mag. GUITARIST (great mag btw.)

They state that the Nova cost 182 GBP, and the Eventide Timefactor is 299 GBP !

They gave both 4 stars for tone !

So my quistion is this :

...if you are in the market for a digital delay, is the Timefactor really 100 GBP (+/- $200.00's) "better/more versatile" than the Nova ?

Personally, i prefer the tones of the Nova, but i read some very good reviews on the Timefactor al over the net the last few days !

What do you guys think ?

;)

• Members

but the timefactor has more knobs !

and a looper.

actually is the looper anything like the DL-4 looper ?

half speed, reverse, instant overdub etc etc.

if it was i'd be tempted.

on a TC electronic note, i just got me Nova Reverb yesterday in the post.

have to say its the best stompbox reverb i've used. and definatley better than my alesis nanoverb.

• Members

who cares about the reviews???? if your ears like it thats all that matters. :poke:

VERY TRUE, but not one of my local stores carry any of them, nor will they get any in soon, if ever !

For me, you are looking at a 13hour drive to the nearest store that "might" have them :cry: - hence the question !

• Members

I just sold my nova and ended up keeping my time factor.

While the nova has a very easy to use interface, sometimes it gets tricky too. It was very hard it seemed to use live for me. The easy switch between presets didn't work as well for me as I had thought, and ended up making it harder for me to play.

The sound of the delay though is incredible. Like I said...its very easy to use, and has an incredible sound. The only thing that bothers me, and this can't be done on the timefactor much at all either, is not being able to sweep the time knob and make a wild little glitch noise. Oh well...that's why I have 7 other delays right?

Anyways, I liked the time factor. The looper is entertaining for home use...but silly in the way it works I think. It is not like the dl4, and it doesn't last as long as that either. BUT...it has some cool features. One of my favorite being the fact you can have banks....two delays each called up (which is nice to go back and forth from quarter note to dotted quarters or something). But not only that...each of those delays can have stacked 2 delay times in one. And it's not like the nova's 3 selections...you can stack any time signatures. A quarter and a dotted quarter (give it that galloping effect)...a7/12ths and a 4/5ths....you can really do anything at all with it.

• Members

I just sold my nova and ended up keeping my time factor.

While the nova has a very easy to use interface, sometimes it gets tricky too. It was very hard it seemed to use live for me. The easy switch between presets didn't work as well for me as I had thought, and ended up making it harder for me to play.

The sound of the delay though is incredible. Like I said...its very easy to use, and has an incredible sound. The only thing that bothers me, and this can't be done on the timefactor much at all either, is not being able to sweep the time knob and make a wild little glitch noise. Oh well...that's why I have 7 other delays right?

Anyways, I liked the time factor. The looper is entertaining for home use...but silly in the way it works I think. It is not like the dl4, and it doesn't last as long as that either. BUT...it has some cool features. One of my favorite being the fact you can have banks....two delays each called up (which is nice to go back and forth from quarter note to dotted quarters or something). But not only that...each of those delays can have stacked 2 delay times in one. And it's not like the nova's 3 selections...you can stack any time signatures. A quarter and a dotted quarter (give it that galloping effect)...a7/12ths and a 4/5ths....you can really do anything at all with it.

2 questions on the Timefactor:

-does it self-oscilate?

-what's the reverse setting like? I love reverse delay, there's a demo on the Pigtronix site for the Echolution with lots of reverse delay and it's gorgeous.

• Members

If I had the cash I'd grab a Timefactor, but I think with the price it costs, it should have like...30 seconds of looping.

The thing with this...is you can increase the time up to 48 seconds...but it will repeat in VERY lofi. Other than that its a 12 second looper.

• Members

2 questions on the Timefactor:

-does it self-oscilate?

-what's the reverse setting like? I love reverse delay, there's a demo on the Pigtronix site for the Echolution with lots of reverse delay and it's gorgeous.

The reverse is great. Like I said though, it's way more intuitive than other delays. you could have a stacked quarter and dotted quarter note reverse. You really can make this delay anything you want. When you are out of bank mode, the middle button is a hold button...it doesn't ramp your sound...but kind of like a short hold feature that repeats your delays for about .5 seconds without going anywhere. I'm still trying to find a use for that.

• Members

Im really new to all this "quarter and dotted quarter" 7/12ths and 4/5ths know how. I know im really missing a lot of the machines capabilities not knowing this stuff can someone explain it or guide me somewhere where i can read about it?

I don't really know where you can read about it...but what it is is ideally two delay time signatures on top of each other

I have a video where you can hear the quarter/dotted

listen after they jam, nigel talks about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYcceV3H2I

you can also hear in my delay video when I have on the dd-6 and the digilog and when I turn on the eventide at the end.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3544391539887209133&hl=en

• Members

I've owned the nova and the timefactor. The nova was alright, and the time factor is near perfect. It's layed out wonderfully and can do just about anything you can imagine. Sounds great to. To this day I've only found one better sounding digital delay than the timefactor(damage control timeline). Unfortnately that one is terribly layed out and monstrous in size.

• Members

So yea...I have been using my nova in the band. And since I sold it last week I ran the eventide instead.

Conclusion:

Why didn't I use this before? There is an intense difference between the two units. I liked the nova....but until using this timefactor again, I never realize how pure the delays sound. It honestly made a complete difference in my guitar sounds. I can has love?

Archived