Pitchshifters : PS-5 vs PS-3

dangerous dan

• Members

I'm GASing at present for a pitchshifter, I've seen a good deal on the Boss PS-5 but whats it like (sound wise) compared with PS-3 ? Better or worse ?

I didn't like either... the PS-3 has a TERIBBBBBBBBBBBBLE lag on the shifted notes, and both sound like crap with single coils [as most boss pedals are as I have found out over the years]

• Members

I only have the PS-3. I agree that the tracking SUX! I now have a H.O.G., which has perfect tracking, but I'm keeping the PS-3 because it does some really unique effects that make it irreplacable.

+1

If you are looking specifically for a pitch shifter, then don't go with the PS3. But the PS3 can produce a lot of other amazing sounds that make it an essential part of my line up.

• Members

I've always wondered, what kind of sounds can the ps-3 do that are unique to it? Anybody have a demo video up anywhere?

You can do several things, but one of my favorites is Mode 7, where you can set it for a delay in which each repeat is pitch shifted up or down an interval you set.

For an example of that, listen to just about any song off Cave-In's "Jupiter".

• Members

You can do several things, but one of my favorites is Mode 7, where you can set it for a delay in which each repeat is pitch shifted up or down an interval you set.

For an example of that, listen to just about any song off Cave-In's "Jupiter".

Interesting, I'm gonna go listen now...

EDIT: I used to have one of the Ibanez DML models a long long time ago. That did a weird pitch-shifted delay like that too.

• Members

Interesting, I'm gonna go listen now...

EDIT: I used to have one of the Ibanez DML models a long long time ago. That did a weird pitch-shifted delay like that too.

Cool. One really clear example of the PS-3 in action is on track 2, "In the Stream of Commerce". At the end, the one guitar has its repeats shifted up by ascending octaves.

Archived