Which Big MUff should I build?

mike.sartori

• Members

Ok, I am going to build the GGG big muff pi kit, but you can do la bunch of different version - rams head, triangle era, 70's version, black russian, green russian, what's the difference?

Also, what are the classic, good sounding big muff mods? I really like some things about this pedal, but I know there are some classic mods to improve the sound. THanks for the help:thu:

• Members

I think there are some similarities between all the ones you mentioned. The triangle sounds similar to the green russian if I remember correctly. I don't know much about the rams head.

I did some mods to my USA big muff, and the 70's op amp sounded fantastic! Also, something that gives you flat mids is really useful in helping you cut through the mix.

A lot of those versions are different based on just a few components being swapped out for higher or lower values. R1, R2 and C1, C2 for instance. If you're adventurous, you can create a toggle between 2 or more sets of components and flip back and forth between versions.

• Members
I think there are some similarities between all the ones you mentioned. The triangle sounds similar to the green russian if I remember correctly. I don't know much about the rams head.

I did some mods to my USA big muff, and the 70's op amp sounded fantastic! Also, something that gives you flat mids is really useful in helping you cut through the mix.

A lot of those versions are different based on just a few components being swapped out for higher or lower values. R1, R2 and C1, C2 for instance. If you're adventurous, you can create a toggle between 2 or more sets of components and flip back and forth between versions.

OMG.....avatar!! :lol:

• Members

Good deal

What kind of sound are you going for? What style of music? This will help determine which version to go with, to an extent.

Well, I have the current black russian muff right now, and I mostly use it for swells, what with the sustain, like an ebow sound. I also turn the tone all the way up for punk-ish sounding stuff, I do like the siamese dream sound, which is pretty much a big muff from what I understand, and gilmour too, sounds awsome. I think the main thing is I want that sustain, but maybe some more sweetness than the black russian.

• Members

Well, I have the current black russian muff right now, and I mostly use it for swells, what with the sustain, like an ebow sound. I also turn the tone all the way up for punk-ish sounding stuff, I do like the siamese dream sound, which is pretty much a big muff from what I understand, and gilmour too, sounds awsome. I think the main thing is I want that sustain, but maybe some more sweetness than the black russian.

A few sources report that the Siamese Dream sound is possible with a "creamy dreamer' mod. This is essentially done by replacing 3 resistors with bare wire "jumpers". These resistors are the "emitter" resistors, though I don't know their exact designated number off hand without looking at a PCB up close.. I did it to my NYC muff and it smoothed the sound out, but still retained the sustain/gain of the original circuit. That might be what you're going for.

• Members

A few sources report that the Siamese Dream sound is possible with a "creamy dreamer' mod. This is essentially done by replacing 3 resistors with bare wire "jumpers". These resistors are the "emitter" resistors, though I don't know their exact designated number off hand without looking at a PCB up close.. I did it to my NYC muff and it smoothed the sound out, but still retained the sustain/gain of the original circuit. That might be what you're going for.

that does sound pretty good, I could even do switches for some/all of them. THanks!

• Members

Op amp? Big muff doesn't use opamps.

The difference is just a few resistors and caps in the clipping section.

• Members
OK, so which is better for doing the "creamy dreamer" mod to - a Ram's head, or the "triangle era"

If the point of that mod is to make things smoother, then I would think the Triangle would make more sense since it's already a little less angry sounding compared to the Ram's Head.

• Members

If the point of that mod is to make things smoother, then I would think the Triangle would make more sense since it's already a little less angry sounding compared to the Ram's Head.

I think I might do the Ram's head, I hear it's what David Gilmour used, and with the creamy dreamer mod, plus maybe a flat mids mod, it should be mellow enough. I want that unlimited sustaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn!

Archived