Rat vs Big Muff... or something else entirely?

mikesuds

• Members

I am curious what you all think... I need something to give me a real dirty bass tone. To give you an idea of my bands sound, if you're bored go to myspace.com/bearathon

On those recordings I used a vintage Rat and a Sansamp BDDI. The Rat wasn't mine though. I love their sound, but would I be better off with a Big Muff? If so which one? If not... something else entirely?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

• Members

i think big muff, or fuzzes in general, are more popular with bass, as for some reason the heavier distortion has more clarity with bass than "smoother" guitar distortions like the rat.

If you want to know what the big muff sounds like on bass, listen to any Muse song that has dirty bass (Hysteria, although the distortion is processed through a synthy filter), etc

• Members

Thanks a ton for the suggestions so far, and the compliments too!

I guess I should have added from the start the gear I use. It is in fact an Acoustic 370 head with an Ampeg 810. I'd like to get rid of the Acoustic head kind of... maybe get a Sunn or Ampeg v4. I dont know yet though.

So there is that info as well if that means anything concerning what pedal I should use.

Again thanks so much! I will check back in a few again, if anyone has anything to add please do!

-Mike

• Members

thanks echo! I am so torn still. I have no clue which would be better without trying both side by side with my setup I feel like.

Anyhow, I uploaded my bands newer ep since some of you seemed like maybe you enjoyed it a little bit even... http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F2CD05FF20F93682

Do whatever you want with it. I hope someone enjoys it!

-Mike

• Members

i just listened to your music. your bass sounds sick. and your beard is righteous. i think the rat sounds great.

I agree wiht this statement. I think the bass tone actually makes the guitar sound a little poor next to it. Still couldn't hurt to try a few different muffs though.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the guy from muse and the guy from 311 (and buy guy i mean bassist) both use the black russian big muff. Those can be had for very cheap if you look around. so it may not be a bad investment. Look for a truebypass one if you can. may as well go try them both out though, a rat is a beautiful thing.

• Members

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for the compliments on the band too! I really do appreciate that.

I am honestly thinking I should just get a Rat. I don't think I want that FUZZ of a big muff. I just want dirty dirty dirty and simple and straight forward. I think Im going to get a Rat.

• Members

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for the compliments on the band too! I really do appreciate that.

I am honestly thinking I should just get a Rat. I don't think I want that FUZZ of a big muff. I just want dirty dirty dirty and simple and straight forward. I think Im going to get a Rat.

great choice. NO REGRETS.

• Members

I don't think you could really go wrong with either of them. Have fun with your RAT!

Archived