Waaay OT. Musharraf,Bhutto, Pakistan?

HMKRich

• Members

My understanding of the current Pakistani situation is basic at best. A few questions:

Is Bhutto a corrupt politician? What's the perception of her amongst Pakistanis?

Is Bhutto a more desirable leader than Musharraf?

Did Musharraf release Bhutto's husband in 2004, and if so, why?

Why did Musharraf give amnesty to Bhutto? She was an outlaw and in exile, what gave her the power to force talks with Musharraf? And why would she demand his removal from office so soon after he gave her amnesty??? :confused:

The American Press seems to be markedly pro-Bhutto, but I've yet to see why she's any better than Musharraf? She seems like a currupt trouble maker. What am I missing?

• Members

Pakistan is a hugely complicated puzzle and I fear a lot of badness could happen over there. Check the Wikipedia stuff, it'll fill you in better than I could explain.

On a sidenote, Bhutto's father was hanged many years ago. The acting President-General was Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq. He also won 'Moustache of the year' three years running, a national record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:General_Zia-ul-Haq.jpg

• Members
On a sidenote, Bhutto's father was hanged many years ago. The acting President-General was Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq.

Zia-ul-Haq died in 1988, and Bhutto, whose father was hanged by Zia-ul-Haq, became Prime Minister the same year. What a whacky place. :freak:

• Members
we'll have to work hard to keep this thread.. civil...
:D
some of us have a tendency to err.. overdo politics here... can't recall when the last political thread was locked..

'tisn't politics, 'tis international affairs. Shouldn't be a rational and reserved discussion. :thu:

• Members

It's funny how our gov't values Musharraf's regime and, like you said, the press seems to want Bhutto in power over there. Musharraf is somewhat of a dictator, isn't he? Do we have to be civil with him because they have nuclear weapons? It's ironic how Bin Laden is thought to be living in Pakistan near their border with Afghanistan yet Pakistan is our great "ally in the war on terror".

• Members
That's Bush's job. He's the DECIDER.
:cop:

:lol:
I'm staunchly republican, but Bush humor is getting funnier and funnier to me.

Is it the nukes? Is that why Washington likes Musharraf? Why is the press so pro-Bhutto? I just don't see either of them being all that great.

• Members

I read an article about Bhutto recently in the NY Times. Apparently coming back to Pakistan could ignite an anti-Western movement, much like the invading Iraq did in Iran, which would be unfortuante if we were to fall out of favor with another Middle Eastern country

Archived