Quick Review: Box of Metal

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

played today at 30th St. Guitars.

nobody needs this much gain, even if you're playing Godflesh.

the gate is awesome and is holding back the significant amount of noise present in most high gain pedals. the drive starts heavier than any other pedal i have ever played and only goes up from there. its got a lot more convincing sound than most metal pedals out there, and will cut through pretty well. but your tone turns to mush because of the sheer amount of distortion present.

its definitely not the pedal for me. its probably not the pedal for most jazzmaster & tele playing shoegazers out there. but somebody is going to do something really interesting with it. just not anybody like me, who would actually use it for metal. probably not you either. trent reznor maybe.

• Members

The original fuzz tone I fell in love with a Fuzz Factory going into a Metal Zone (seriously).

I later replaced it with a Little Big Muff PI into Metal Zone (because ultimately the Big Muff tone was what I was setting my FFactory to).

So yeah, big big big fuzzy distortion with EQ control is what I'm all about.

I blame it on Siamese Dream.

Anyhow... point being is I definitely feel alone in the "needing massive gain" category, and am curious who here ends up digging the BoM.

Seems kinda odd a lot of people at TGP are digging it, or maybe it's just a name brand hype thing (which is always feels like over there... even for the Bad Monkey... :freak:)

• Members

The original fuzz tone I fell in love with a Fuzz Factory going into a Metal Zone (seriously).

I later replaced it with a Little Big Muff PI into Metal Zone (because ultimately the Big Muff tone was what I was setting my FFactory to).

So yeah, big big big fuzzy distortion with EQ control is what I'm all about.

I blame it on Siamese Dream.

Anyhow... point being is I definitely feel alone in the "needing massive gain" category, and am curious who here ends up digging the BoM.

Seems kinda odd a lot of people at TGP are digging it, or maybe it's just a name brand hype thing (which is always feels like over there... even for the Bad Monkey...
:freak:
)

i also blame my addiction to fuzzy sweetness on siamese dream, but i cant imagine needing somehting other than a muff or creamy dreamer to do it.

i really like riffing/chuggachugging and a fuzz definitely doesnt cut it, so i bought a $25 DOD death metal distortion that pretty much nails the tone and gain i want for the heavy palm mutted stuff

oddly, my muff into the dod sounds like {censored}, though you claim to do somehting similar with other effects. i guess ill have to try that...

i also find it odd that to solo with the BoM you need to turn off the gate. sometimes boutique effects are needlessly complicated and ultimately novelty. im not saying that the BoM is novelty, but still

• Members

i also find it odd that to solo with the BoM you need to turn off the gate. sometimes boutique effects are needlessly complicated and ultimately novelty. im not saying that the BoM is novelty, but still

not true. i was soloing all over the place with the gate on. if you're actually playing metal, then your solos will get through just fine.

its definitely a novelty pedal. its the "i need something with more gain than i've ever heard from anything else ever" pedal. even the guys in Morbid Angel are going "{censored}, that's way too much gain."

• Members
Anyway, I read the BOM has a gain trim inside. So i guess if you want less gain you can cut the trim back some.
:)

That's actually great to hear.

I have no problem with more gain, as long as it's somewhat useable. For instance, cranking the gain on a stock Dual Rectifier will make a lot of chords mush out and sound rather undefined.

Not to say that the BOM has too much gain from the get-go (I haven't tried one yet to really make that determination), but the fact that you can dial it down is a big plus to me.

• Members

That's actually great to hear.

I have no problem with more gain, as long as it's somewhat useable. For instance, cranking the gain on a stock Dual Rectifier will make a lot of chords mush out and sound rather undefined.

Not to say that the BOM has too much gain from the get-go (I haven't tried one yet to really make that determination), but the fact that you can dial it down is a big plus to me.

if there's a trimpot, that would definitely be helpful.

and to stompboxman, i'm actually in the market for a high gain distortion pedal. so far, the jacques mercer box II is the frontrunner. i've checked out every version of the EHX Metal Muff, the MI Audio Tube Zone, and various BOSS products. so i'm not judging it against a tubescreamer or a fuzz face. i'm looking for something that actually does the job.

Archived