Vibrolux vs. Vibroverb vs. Vibrosonic

veil

• Members

I don't know anything about the lux or the sonic, but I have a brown '63 Vibroverb w/ 2X10, and I'm taking that thing to the grave with me (okay not really, but don't think I haven't thought about it).

It was one of the last Pre-CBS models, and it's the first Fender amp to have a spring reverb built in. The original model has a GZ34 rectifier, and the reissue has a solid-state rectifier.

For more info about all 3 amps, visit this site: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/vibrasonic_brown.html

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/vibrolux_brown.html

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/vibroverb_brown.html

• Members

the fender amp field guide can probably help some (maybe more than i). they all had tremelo and reverb....the lux, and verb are from the mid 60's and have been reissued (what.....since maybe 98), and the sonic is from the 70's and is a silver face pushing 100 and 135 watts, whereas the verb was rated at 35 and lux at 40. the verb has a tighter tremelo to my ears than the lux and if i were to draw an analogy ....i'd say it would be like a quick tight string vibrato as compared to the lux fatter, slower wide string vibrato. the lux is more spongy and bouncy moving toward super reverb territory (partially because the 2 10's) and the verb is tighter moving toward something like a blackface deluxe. stevie used a vibroverb (diaz modded) and robert cray uses a vibrolux. i think the sonic might have been used for pedal steel, not sure.

• Members

the fender amp field guide can probably help some (maybe more than i). they all had tremelo and reverb....the lux, and verb are from the mid 60's and have been reissued (what.....since maybe 98), and the sonic is from the 70's and is a silver face pushing 100 and 135 watts, whereas the verb was rated at 35 and lux at 40. the verb has a tighter tremelo to my ears than the lux and if i were to draw an analogy ....i'd say it would be like a quick tight string vibrato as compared to the lux fatter, slower wide string vibrato. the lux is more spongy and bouncy moving toward super reverb territory (partially because the 2 10's) and the verb is tighter moving toward something like a blackface deluxe. stevie used a vibroverb (diaz modded) and robert cray uses a vibrolux. i think the sonic might have been used for pedal steel, not sure.

Don't forget that there are two very different Vibroverbs. The '63 is brown with 2X10, and the '64 is black with 1X12. Because of Stevie, everyone forgets that the brown one was first ;)

• Members

I don't know anything about the lux or the sonic, but I have a brown '63 Vibroverb w/ 2X10, and I'm taking that thing to the grave with me (okay not really, but don't think I haven't thought about it).

i'll be digging up your corpse for that hawtness. my dream amp. :love:

• Members

I've got the '63 Vibroverb RI. It is the {censored}. Believe none of the trash that's been talked about this amp by folks who can't get a hard-on without a tube rectifier & hand wired circuit. With some decent glass & a pair of good 10"s its the best amp I've ever played through. Just awesome. More aggressive & dark than a BF & more shimmery & clean than a Tweed. Sound good? Okay, how 'bout it handles fuzzes and overdrives like nobody's bizness and starts to break up on it's own at semi-reasonable volumes. The bias flip-flop Tremolo sounds better than anything in the entire universe. You will find few folks willing to let go of these and even fewer still who've switched out the stock Oxfords for Webers, etc.

I've got SED 'Winged C's for the 6L6s, Mullard CV4024s for the PI and 'Verb driver & a mix of 12AX7s for the other positions. Speakers are 1x Weber 10A125 and one 10F150.

• Members

I don't have a lot of experience with the 'verb or 'sonic, but I did have a '67 'lux for a while. I'd agree with the spongy and bouncy thing, but alot of my comparisons were done with a 70's twin. The most similar sounding (to the lux) amp I've played was actually an original '59 bassman. If you eq'd the two of them to sound the same, I doubt you could tell a difference. They acted differently when pushed (some of the lux's sponge went away, IIRC).

It's been several years since I played either amp, so take it with a grain of salt. :idk:

• Members

Don't forget that there are two very different Vibroverbs. The '63 is brown with 2X10, and the '64 is black with 1X12. Because of Stevie, everyone forgets that the brown one was first
;)

Also don't forget that they made a brown '59-'61 Vibra sonic. One of the only Fender amps to feature Harmonic Pitch Vibrato.

• Members

I own an early-seventies silverface Vibrosonic Reverb and it's essentially a Twin but with a single 15" speaker. Here's a good overview from someone else...

"100 watt, 4 x 6l6GC, 2 channels - clean and reverb/vibrato, 2 inputs on each channel. 1 x 15 inch speaker, very sweet. Has a push pull master volume which adds gain and/or reverb. Channel 1 - vol, treb, mid, bass. Channel 2 - as above but with reverb control and speed & intensity for the vibrato, master vol. Due to the 15 inch speaker the bass is very thick and lush. Has the characteristic fender brightness too".

• Members

Awesome. I've been watching clips on the You Tube and I adore the way it sounds. I have a Twin Reverb, but I wanted something a little smaller and with some breakup.

After examining the features I think the Vibrolux Reverb and the Vibroverb are probably the two models I'm going after. 35-40 watts, 2x10, reverb and tremolo. Awesome.

What do these amps typically go for?

Vibrolux Reverb blackface, silverface, new custom? Vibroverb RI?

• Members

Awesome. I've been watching clips on the You Tube and I adore the way it sounds. I have a Twin Reverb, but I wanted something a little smaller and with some breakup.

After examining the features I think the Vibrolux Reverb and the Vibroverb are probably the two models I'm going after. 35-40 watts, 2x10, reverb and tremolo. Awesome.

What do these amps typically go for?

Vibrolux Reverb blackface, silverface, new custom? Vibroverb RI?

I wouldn't spend more than $700 on a Vibroverb RI today, but the prices are going up every year, so pull the trigger relatively soon :thu:

• Members

I wouldn't spend more than $700 on a Vibroverb RI today, but the prices are going up every year, so pull the trigger relatively soon
:thu:

Is yours an original '63? I wonder how they compare? I was also looking at that Vibrolux Reverb reissue, but all the reviews said it had a looot of hiss. Hmm...

• Members

Is yours an original '63? I wonder how they compare? I was also looking at that Vibrolux Reverb reissue, but all the reviews said it had a looot of hiss. Hmm...

I have an original, but a guitarist I played with for years had a reissue, and his reissue was the reason I went looking for one myself. I just happened upon an original by accident. I haven't had a chance to A/B them, but I know I liked the RI so much that I'll buy one when I'm ready to buy another amp.

In general, I'd say that the amp sounds better to my ears with single coils, but I can also get a great sound when I plug in my Gretsch - I just use my EQ a bit more.

• Members

I have an original, but a guitarist I played with for years had a reissue, and his reissue was the reason I went looking for one myself. I just happened upon an original by accident. I haven't had a chance to A/B them, but I know I liked the RI so much that I'll buy one when I'm ready to buy another amp.

In general, I'd say that the amp sounds better to my ears with single coils, but I can also get a great sound when I plug in my Gretsch - I just use my EQ a bit more.

That's awesome. I have a guitar with hums and a guitar with P-90's, I reckon they'd both sound great through it. :love:

Now I gotta find someone that wants my Mesa Nomad. :poke:

• Members

i have an Allen Encore that sits squarely between a vibrolux and a vibroverb. its got the brownface bias tremolo, the blackface reverb, volume, master, mid control (!), and a raw knob that takes the tone stack out. it doesn't have the harmonic pitch vibrato, but it'll sound like any fender you want it to.

• Members

i have an Allen Encore that sits squarely between a vibrolux and a vibroverb. its got the brownface bias tremolo, the blackface reverb, volume, master, mid control (!), and a raw knob that takes the tone stack out. it doesn't have the harmonic pitch vibrato, but it'll sound like any fender you want it to.

How much did that run you? And what the bees is harmonic pitch vibrato?

Archived