Which distortion pedals sound great with a solid state amp?

MKCL

• Members

haven't used any of those you mentioned but i'd recommend adding a tc electronic vintage distortion to your list to check out, i'm loving mine - goes from a tubescreamer type sound with guts to full on crunch and is pretty transparent until you use the boost switch...

• Members

MI Audio Crunch Box, Tube Zone, Fulltone OCD, and the Box of Rock by Zvex.

Do these pedals sound good through the clean channel of a solid state amp? Are there better ones?

What kinda sound are you looking for?

I have an MXR Doubleshot going into a Vox Pathfinder 15R and it sounds bad-ass. Especially the top channel, if you're going for heavy rock/metal tones. The bottom channel gives you more of a gritty distortion or fuzz, and works really well with an OD pedal. I have a Bad Monkey in front of mine.

It's only $80 bucks on MF, or you can find one used.

All that said, if I had money to burn, I'd personally check out the Tube Zone.

• Members

Funnily enough, I was messing with my BoR through my solid state the other day, which I don't use much any more and it sounded like ass I'm afraid - far nicer through a tube amp. Not knocking solid states - it's just different pedals for different amps. I think Fuzz's always sound good through solid state. My Big Muff actually sounds cooler through my solid state than my tube I think...

• Members

silly question- what amp are you using?

i ask because those pedals cost as much or more than a lot of SS amps. depending on your existing amp, maybe look into something like a fender blues jr- costs relatively little more than those pedals.:idk:

i own all of those but the tubezone and dislike the way they sound with my old valvestate marshall i keep at my parents house. fizzy and harsh sounding.:)

• Members

I am currently using a Marshall 3310 head through a 2x12 cabinet. My other amp is a Marshall 5010 combo. These are the older models made in England. I also have a Tech 21 head, but plan to trade it soon.

The gain is decent on both Marshalls, but I am looking for more versatility with my overdrive tone.

I was listening to samples on YouTube and the Tubezone is pretty cool. I am after versatile overdrive. For example, going from low gain breakup, to tight Mesa distortion.

• Members

I liked the way that a V.2 Tube Zone sounded through a solid state recording preamp back when I had one. There was a wee bit of fizz with lighter palm muting, but this probably had more to do with the preamp in question.

+1 billion for fuzzes sounding great with solid state amps. :rawk:

• Members

The absolute best I found is this!!!! See sig.

SansSettings-1.jpg

I did not try this one, but did have a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 which I did not really like. Is it similar?

Which pedal gives the closest tone to a cranked JCM 800? And which is more versatile?

• Members

Tubes often tend to "round off" fuzzes a lot, which can give them a cool, smooth texture but isn't what a lot of people like from them. I've a solid state amp that really tries a convincing tube emulation, and it does much the same thing.

Rat or Turbo Rat, obviously... takes advantage of the "roughness" of SS.

• Members

Tubes often tend to "round off" fuzzes a lot, which can give them a cool, smooth texture but isn't what a lot of people like from them. I've a solid state amp that really tries a convincing tube emulation, and it does much the same thing.

Rat or Turbo Rat, obviously... takes advantage of the "roughness" of SS.

• Members

I'm going with the aforementioned logic that a tube pedal will sound best and recommending the Tube Zone. I haven't tried any of the pedals you mentioned, so I can't give you any accurate endorsements.

The Rat will be hit or miss, depending on the amp. Only one amp I've ever used made that pedal sound as good as many people claim it is. That amp, however, was a solid-state amp. I have a feeling the pedal won't give you the low-end response you want unless your Marshalls happen to be perfect matches for the thing.

• Members

I'm going with the aforementioned logic that a tube pedal will sound best and recommending the Tube Zone. I haven't tried any of the pedals you mentioned, so I can't give you any accurate endorsements.

I don't think the Tube Zone actually has a tube in it.

Archived