RE-20 Honeymoon review

sonaboy

• Members

okay, after 3 hours of messing around, here we go:

good: awesome sounds, tap tempo, oscillation, visual strobe, regular boss AC power supply, direct/padded output switch, dual in/outs, expression pedal capable, clipping LED, delay keeps rolling when you change program modes and actually ramps up or down to the next setting, goddamn sweet looks.

bad: no memory patches, useless battery compartment, price, odd control layout, and other subjective things i'll get into subsequently...

what i didn't explore during this session: expression pedal functions, "twist" setting, stereo out.

so...

first off - the delay sounds on this thing are {censored}ing kick ass. i've heard guys complain about this pedal not sounding good, etc. {censored} those amateurs. these are first rate Boss delay sounds. this is coming from a guy who was pretty non-plussed about most of the DD20 modes.

the bass/treble controls, along with the delay mix knob, and the input gain knob - lets just say that they have "your sound" covered. AND, the bass and treble controls don't alter your original signal, only the repeats.

so, off the bat i chose mode 2, which is a nice medium length echo repeat. instantly i was in the pocket for what i used my regular Boss DD5 for. a little adjustment on the input trim to compensate for my humbuckers, a little bass boost and a little treble roll off and i was home.

flicking off a few notes that had a nice filter/buffered roll off - it sounded great. as good as any DE7 does, for sure.

letting them trail off by increasing the intensity knob to get that great saturated sound, then rolling the repeat knob clockwise (which, actually makes the delay time SHORTER on this pedal) and then swinging it back to 0 for some spaceship noise was pure gunky heaven. plus you get that wobble bobble sound in there too...well, that was the first instant my eyebrows shot upwards. YES. good stuff.

now..here's the first complaint. Boss has done a great imitation of the space echo. but they kept too much of the original space echo here in the digital simulation to make it a serious contender. when you have a tap tempo button, seriously, why have 4 modes of delay when you could just dial up your time sig and then flip back and forth to it using the tap? it's like Boss wastes features to keep the original program layout of the RE-201. the same goes for the reverb-echo settings - 4 modes of the same thing with very little difference in time settings that could be taken care of with the tap tempo switch anyway.

next complaint - reverb. the reverb is very splashy and harsh, to my ears. the fact that it shares the Bass/Treble EQ knobs with the delay don't help this much. Because the best sounding delay settings with the perfect filtering on my humbuckers are outrageously harsh when you incorporate the reverb simulation. same goes for the "Reverb Only" setting. just too much clangy womp. I flipped the EQ, level and input settings around for 5 minutes or so, but it just didn't tame it enough for my ears. I like big, soft reverb. Honestly, Boss modeled this reverb off of the 3 spring reverb in the unit, and it just sort of ruins the experience for me when it's on. but when it's just the delay...oh yeah. right on.

Last thing - the intensity and level controls on the RE-20 are awesome, and make this pedal. Couple it with the EQ knobs, and you have a winner for a great analog/tape simulation. No other digi modeler I've tried so far comes this close, including my beloved DL4. This one is on the money. Since the expression pedal controls the delay time, if you get one to control this pedal, you will have a hell of a nice time getting those crusty or pristine repeats to max out or warble on command with a flick of the foot.

the perplexing thing about this pedal is, Boss just heaped too much of the same thing onto the circuitboard.

If the RE-20 just had 3 modes (RE-2 anyone?), memory patches, and a bit of a smoother reverb - this pedal would KILL the competition of tape simulators.

for now, it's an admirable effort that's a bit on the pricey side.

but hey - like most delays, it does a couple of things REALLY WELL, and most other things not so well.

and yeah, this was not meant to compete with the DD20.

so, having said that - who wants to pick this baby up and have a listen for themselves?

$230 shipped to the ConUS.

• Members
The price and the lack of memory turned me off to it...

It was fun to play with at GC...played with it, walked around a little more and went back to the pedal and cranked the feedback for a nice scare for the next user.

Thanks for the writeup.

well, the lack of memory patches, yeah, kinda dumb.

but, if you absolutely don't need to go from echo to echo/reverb within one song, it really doesn't matter that much since you have a tap tempo.

maybe they'll incorporate that into the RE-30. :D

• Members
If the RE-20 just had 3 modes (RE-2 anyone?), memory patches, and a bit of a smoother reverb -
this pedal would KILL the competition of tape simulators.

Funny...I thought the same thing about the reverb, but then I remembered the spring reverb on my old Roland Space Echo sounded the same way. It was the one feature I wish they hadn't gone out of their way to make exactly like the original. The original Space Echo had the twankiest spring reverb I had ever used and I didn't particularly care for it. :o

• Members
Funny...I thought the same thing about the reverb, but then I remembered the spring reverb on my old Roland Space Echo sounded the same way. It was the one feature I wish they hadn't gone out of their way to make exactly like the original. The original Space Echo had the twankiest spring reverb I had ever used and I didn't particularly care for it.
:o

yeah, imo Boss was really trying to appeal to people who play other types of music than the bliss out MBV crowd - it's most likely the reggae guys playing single coil staccato riffs who need to jump out in front with the drums and stuff like that...

• Members
yeah, imo Boss was really trying to appeal to people who play other types of music than the bliss out MBV crowd - it's most likely the reggae guys playing single coil staccato riffs who need to jump out in front with the drums and stuff like that...

I dig mine...I've had it for about a little over a month now and I still like it a lot. Between it and my DD-20, I've got my Delay bases more than adequately covered. :)

• Members

Wow, great review! I wish we had more threads like this popping up more often.

A bunch of you probably saw my RE-201 thread last week. well, I found a great deal on an RE-20 on ebay a couple days ago and it's en route to my door right now. I'm going to do my best to make a decent comparison of the two (as well as Ekko 600, DMM, and AD-900. It's going to be an ambitious project). I'm probably going to end up keeping two delays out of the 5, and if the Ekko 600 ends up being my 3rd favorite, I'm keeping 3, cause I'm not selling that lil' nugget o' joy. Aw shucks, I'm ramblin again

The reason the delay gets shorter on the RE-20 when you turn the knob clockwise is that the corresponding knob on the RE-201 controls motor speed. Turn it up, motor speeds up, delay gets shorter. The reverb on the RE-201 sucks ass, and the RE-20 has an accurate clone of an ass-sucking reverb. Tap tempo is a pleasant addition Boss threw in. They wanted a faithful digital reproduction of the original sound and interface, but threw in the tappity tap. Sure, it's a little weird in terms of functionality, but take it for what it is. After all, they could have went fan=boy style and made an exact repro with no tappity tap at all, which would have been more lamer.

Let me say it again, great review :thu: Makes me more excited to try it myself.

• Members

Yeah, that is a great review! Now that I've read it and visited the Boss site, I'm really torn. I thought my DD-20 was fine, but I now realize, I prefer the warmer tones of that RE-20. Also, I don't use the sample function of the DD-20, and the reverse delay sucks IMO - I can't get it to JUST play the wet signal. There's always that little first hit of the note and it drives me crazy.

I appreciate that you mentioned that the RE-20 has no memory function. I really like that about the DD-20. You can save some basic settings or song-specific settings. Also, what's up w/ that reverb? Why wouldn't they fix that? If you said the reverb was good, I think I'd put that pedal on my x-mas list right now.

Does anyone think Boss will add a memory function and fix the reverb? I would sell the DD-20 in a heartbeat if it had those functions. Hell, even if the reverb was better...

Thanks again. I'm gonna have to look at my gear and see what I should review for people. It really is helpful

• Members

If it means anything, when I was playing with the RE-201 last night, I found myself thinking the echo alone (no reverb on the space echo or my amp) made me feel like I had some reverb dialed in. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RE-20 based on the lame reverb, it's a throw away feature they put in just to be faithful to the original. You won't need reverb when you have that echo going as long as you're not playing in an anechoic chamber.

• Members

If it means anything, when I was playing with the RE-201 last night, I found myself thinking the echo alone (no reverb on the space echo or my amp) made me feel like I had some reverb dialed in. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RE-20 based on the lame reverb, it's a throw away feature they put in just to be faithful to the original. You won't need reverb when you have that echo going as long as you're not playing in an anechoic chamber.

I was kinda thinkin' that so thanks for affirming. I think I'm gonna tell the wife that she can get me the RE-20. So long DD-20:wave:

• Members
I think this is the first positive review I've ever read that ended with some spam for the pedal.
:lol:

that should tell you how broke i am.

because i'm still waffling back and forth about selling it. I'll go play it for another 15 minutes and then go, "hmm...keepz!"

then get upstairs and look at the bills and say, "no! sellz!"

and on and on.

• Members

that should tell you how broke i am.

because i'm still waffling back and forth about selling it. I'll go play it for another 15 minutes and then go, "hmm...keepz!"

then get upstairs and look at the bills and say, "no! sellz!"

and on and on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know how it is though, good luck with the Craigslisters. :cry:

Archived