Problems with my Vintage Phase 90

cyberpunk409

• Members

Hey guys, just bought a vintage MXR Phase 90 (block logo with script board) and am having some difficulties with it

When i first engage the effect it sounds FANTASTIC, just the way it should i imagine. It continues to sound great for maybe 10 mins or so, and then goes really bassy and dull, and the phase effect dies down heaps. The tone is sort of like rolling the tone knob to ZERO on your guitar and amp, really dull-like.

If i disengage the effect and then click it on again, this problem continues. Even if i leave it overnight, the problem continues. The ONLY way to get it back to sounding great is by taking out the battery, waiting maybe 20mins and then trying. Then it continues to sound great until the same thing happens all over again. As long as there is a power source connected to it, it will not reset back to sounding good.

I have tried several different batteries and even connected it to a BOSS power supply using a battery clip. The effect is awesome for 10-or-so mins until it starts sounding like there's a blanket over my amp. This happens pretty suddenly and not gradually. Like i said, the only way to get it back to sounding great is disconnecting a powersource completely and waiting.

Seems like some component doesn't function properly once it's had more than 10mins of continuos power supply, whether the pedal/effect is engaged or not.

What on earth could be the problem guys? sigh.

• Members

Wild guess... problem with/a dying tantalum cap.

Do you have a multi meter? If you do I would suggest going to http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php and check out the debugging thread and give them some voltages from before and after the problem. They can probably help you figure out where the faulty component (if there is one) is located.

Archived