so how is the zvex seek wah compared to the line-6 fm4 seek mode

bojo

• Members

the FM-4 is total bull{censored}.

Claims to model all these filters, but the pedal only has two sounds. A sort of clean filter sound, and a muddy synth sound. The only thing that changes with the models is the modulation.

Complete and utter useless garbage. Quite possibly the worst pedal I have ever owned. (got it for x-mas a few years ago, and exchanged it)

• Members

Robotalk is huge, takes two isolated power supplies, and doesn't consistently produce actual notes as often as it produces low pitched flubs. I would go with an ooh wah if you want the random filter thing.

yeah i tought about the ooh wah too

wonder how much they go for used?

it's true that the two isolated power supplies and the size of the pedal are a pain in the ass

what's great tought is that you get an filter and the random filter

but how's the filter side NITEFLY?

• Members

yeah i tought about the ooh wah too

wonder how much they go for used?

it's true that the two isolated power supplies and the size of the pedal are a pain in the ass

what's great tought is that you get an filter and the random filter

but how's the filter side NITEFLY?

The filter is a little thin. You have to set the pedal for which side youll use since settings that sound good for the S&H dont sound good for the filter. The power supply is fine if you have two free spots on your PPII. I built my FSH1 with a charge pump to run off 9V which makes it a lot easier to work with.

• Members

the boss ph3 does a random phase mode. it's pretty harsh and metallic sounding but it's probably the best random step filter you can get for $50 used. the harshness isn't too bad on subtle settings. it also has an expression pedal input.

i think the digitech hyper phase/flange have a similar mode.

• Members

I have an Ooh Wah. Even used, it is expensive, but the pedal sounds great, and out of everything I own, it is the one pedal that can almost instantly give me ideas for melodies and deviations from the typical chord progressions. The only draw back to it is the fact that the Ooh Wah sounds like an Ooh Wah, and having a bunch of songs featuring the pedal prominently is somewhat limiting, even though it sounds so good, you really want to use it a lot.

If you can swing it, go for the Ooh Wah 2.

c

• Members

The filter is a little thin. You have to set the pedal for which side youll use since settings that sound good for the S&H dont sound good for the filter.

that's nice to know, the reason i found it appealing was the ability to have the filter and the random filter ready to use live, but now i don't think i'll even consider the robotalk

they're supposed to put a brand new robotalk in 2008 tought...

• Members

the boss ph3 does a random phase mode. it's pretty harsh and metallic sounding but it's probably the best random step filter you can get for $50 used. the harshness isn't too bad on subtle settings. it also has an expression pedal input.

i think the digitech hyper phase/flange have a similar mode.

thanks gonna check those, i think ibanez pm7 does that too

it's sure that the price is lower for a reason

• Members

I have played several of these.

The Ooh Wah is cool, but kinda subtle and limited.

The Digitech HyperPhase step phase is interesting but has an unpleasantly digital tone.

The SE ModMax Phaser S&H mode is pretty good, some flubs and blubs, but the pedal is a max-tweaker, so many knobs, so few good settings!

The Alesis ModFx Philtre and Faze are great bangs for the buck, but a hassle to use in a guitar rig due to line level imbalances.

The Infinitphase Mk II is another max tweaker - hard to find the same setting the second time around. Volume drop. Also kinda shallow depth of effect.

The Moog MuRF doesn't really do completely random patterns unless you add a CP-251 unit for true S&H, but it sounds so good anyway. The MuRF does everything I wanted the Ooh Wah to do, but better.

• Members

how does the seek mode on the fm4 is compared to the real thing?

i'm sure you get more tweakability with the zvex but still, anyone has compared them?

I just picked up an AdrenaLinn II used and I like it a lot better than the FM-4 and it was about $50 cheaper.

I still think the Seek Wah is nicer than both of them tonally. I like being able to store multiple settings on the AdrenaLinn though...and it has a lot of other useful features. :thu:

• Members

The seek wah rules and you can set everything individially. The seeker on the FM4 isn't settable, is noisy, and has a volume drop.

vex has a volume drop too, although it's natural. Should put a sho in the seek wah maybe? not enough space or what? too much noise?

• Members

I have an Ooh Wah. Even used, it is expensive, but the pedal sounds great, and out of everything I own, it is the one pedal that can almost instantly give me ideas for melodies and deviations from the typical chord progressions. The only draw back to it is the fact that the Ooh Wah sounds like an Ooh Wah, and having a bunch of songs featuring the pedal prominently is somewhat limiting, even though it sounds so good, you really want to use it a lot.

If you can swing it, go for the Ooh Wah 2.

c

That's the problem I have with a lot of Zvex pedals - while they're cool ideas it can be hard to figure them into a song that isn't just a demo for the pedal. The Fuzz Factory is an exception, which is why it's so popular(that and it's less pricey - I really wish the Ooh Wah cost the same as the FF and came in a Vexter too).

• Members

That's the problem I have with a lot of Zvex pedals - while they're cool ideas it can be hard to figure them into a song that isn't just a demo for the pedal. The Fuzz Factory is an exception, which is why it's so popular(that and it's less pricey - I really wish the Ooh Wah cost the same as the FF and came in a Vexter too).

Sounds like you do a lot of playing to the pedal instead of making the pedal work for you.

• Members

I just picked up an AdrenaLinn II used and I like it a lot better than the FM-4 and it was about $50 cheaper than the FM-4.

I still think the Seek Wah is nicer than both of them tonally. I like being able to store multiple settings on the AdrenaLinn though...and it has a lot of other useful features.
:thu:

hum should check that one

Archived