Delay and Compression

Fenderman1991

• Members

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a delay and compressor, but nothing fancy and certainly nothing expensive here are my ideas for each:

Compression:

Boss CS-3

Dyna Comp

Marshall Edward the Compressor

Behringer CS100

Aphex Punch Factory

Guyatone ST-2

Rocktron Big Squeeze or whatever it's called

DOD Milkbox

RT. 66 Compressor (The solo pedal, not the actual rt. 66)

Delay:

Digidelay

Ibanez DE-7

Guyatone Micro Delay

Danelctro DE-1

EHX #1 Echo

Thanks for your input. I know it's a lot to choose from but I just need to have the best for the price.

I'd like there to be as little tone sucking/coloring as possible.

So gimme your input, what's good, what's bad, what's awful, etc.

Thanks again.

• Members

I think you'll get a lot of people saying the DE-7 and ST-2 or dyna comp, these seem to be the tried and true inexpensive pedals in these categories. For almost all the others on the list, a good amount of people who have had experiences with them are less than ecstatic. Not to say no one likes them, just saying, those are generally the pedals that WILL do what you want them to, for a really wide range of things. Try out the ST-2 and some MXR compressors..I have the ST-2 and it isn't bad, just isn't the best.

That being said, I'd say the wisest thing to do would be to get the DE-7 and CS-3, and check out http://www.monteallums.com to mod the CS-3, so it isn't so harsh as it is stock. If you're not confident in modding, check out the ST-2 and MXR compressors. I have the ST-2 and it isn't bad, just isn't the best.

Is the Super Comp really exactly like the dyna comp sound wise??

What good does an attack knob do?

And thanks for that about the DOD. Crossing that off my list. I coulda suspected, my FX35 Octoplus is very not transparent as well.

I had a Super Comp for a while - I ended up giving it away as a prize in one of the annual pedalboard contests. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a "script" Dyna-Comp either, and that's the pedal that built their reputation.

"Attack" is a compression parameter that not all pedals have. There are many different controls on studio type compressors (rack units) that are either missing or have their parameters pre-set in pedal compressors.

Attack is how fast the compression kicks in after the signal crosses the threshold. It's usually measured in milliseconds. A very fast attack time will clamp down on the very first part of the note - what is called the attack transient - while setting a slower attack time will let some of that initial note attack come through without being compressed - giving you a punchier sound vs a faster attack time's smoother sound.

Release times are similar, but at the other "end" of the note. Once the signal level / volume crosses below the threshold point (the point where the compression no longer takes place or kicks in, depending on which way the signal's going - down or up, respectively), the release takes effect. A long release time will give you greater sustain, but if the release is TOO long, the compressor will still be "recovering" from the previous note, and will have an effect on the subsequent note's attack. This can be particularly noticeable when you're using a slower attack time for more "punch" and attack - the two (slow attack / too long of a release) will fight against each other and counter-act.

My current compressor is a Orange Squeezer clone. Squeezers are anything but transparent, but I love their poppy, aggressive compression tone - think of the lead guitar on Sultans Of Swing as an example of their sound. I had Mark at OLCircuits build it for me. I told him I wanted an OS clone with external volume ("juice") and bias ("pulp") knobs, and with some custom graphics. I grew up next to my uncle's orange grove (he grew for Sunkist), and I wanted it to have an old-time packing label look to it. So I sent Mark the basic idea and main graphic, and he took it all to the next level:

olc_sunkistsqueeze-lg.jpg

I know Mark's done a few more since mine was built, and IIRC, they're not too much over your budget. I've been extremely happy with mine.

And no - I don't have any interest in the pedal and do not profit off their sale in any way. :) When he started getting requests for Sunkist Squeezes and asked me about it, I told Mark I had no problem with him making them for anyone else who wanted one with that design on it. And if you hate the design (although I must admit in all honesty that I think it's pretty spiffy :o;) ), he could probably make you one in a solid color.

• Members

Updated lists:

Comp:

Dyna Comp

Aphex Punch Factory

Rocktron Big Crush

Guyatone ST-2

Delay:

Ibanez DE-7

Guyatone MD-2 Micro Delay

Danelectro DE-1 Danoecho

EHX #1 Echo

Thanks for all the responses guys, keep em coming, you've no idea what a help it is.

That citrus comp looks pretty cool, how much was it??

• Members

DE-7 beats all those delays you have listed. Yes, it works fine with 1-spot or any boss adapter.

Compressor-wise, go with Dyna Comp + monte allums mod kit (look for a used Dyna Comp) if you are cheap, otherwise, go with modded CS-3 for more "transparent" sustain or go with Phil's suggestion (the orange squeezer) for a more high-end "squeezy" compressor like the Dyna Comp.

• Members

Drop that Punch Factory off your list if you ever play out at all and reliability & longevity are features you desire. The jacks are mounted directly to the PCB, not the chassis, and that is just asking for trouble.

Other than that, it doesn't sound too bad as long as you're only using it for light compression. If you try to squash your sound too much, the pedal sounds extremely muddy and noisy.

Archived