Distortion recommendations

donnievaz

• Members

I'm curious as to what everyone would recommend for a distortion pedal. Here are some points to give you an idea of what I like and don't like

Hate the stock DS-1, but LOVE the Allums tri-gain rectifier mod on it. I like a good overdrive but they usually leave me wanting more distortion. I have an EH Metal Muff w/ TB that sound's OK but it's a little too harsh sounding. What's out there that's similar to the Allums tri-gain rectifier modded DS-1? I tend to like smoother distortion, as opposed to buzzy & peircing.

Any suggestions? :wave:

Thanks

• Members

mi audio tube zone.. does moderate to heavy nicely... tweakable... and
chrome
!

i just bought a Tube Zone yesterday. i think it made my Mesa Subway Rocket obsolete.

i tried the metal muffs, and came to the same conclusion. there's just something fake about them. the z-vex box of metal actually had too much gain.

i still own a RAT. it can't do what the tube zone can. neither can the DS-1 or box of rock.

• Members

Here are my 3 recommendations:

MI Audio Tube Zone - Great if you want more than just a distortion pedal, but can get you damn close to the Mesa sound

Boss Metalcore - Actually a damn fine little pedal, nice and thick, but does hold clarity.

Landmine LD-1 - This is an all out high gain pedal, will not do anything but high gain.

• Members

I'm curious as to what everyone would recommend for a distortion pedal. Here are some points to give you an idea of what I like and don't like

Hate the stock DS-1, but LOVE the Allums tri-gain rectifier mod on it. I like a good overdrive but they usually leave me wanting more distortion. I have an EH Metal Muff w/ TB that sound's OK but it's a little too harsh sounding. What's out there that's similar to the Allums tri-gain rectifier modded DS-1? I tend to like smoother distortion, as opposed to buzzy & peircing.

Any suggestions?
:wave:

Thanks

Why don't you go with the Tri-Gain unit then ? Seeing that you like it !?

Also look at the MI Audio Tube Zone :evil:

... or maybe a true Vintage Rat from the 80's :idea:.

Then again, one of my fav's and a big part of my GAS, is the Paranoid:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musician-Sound-Design-PD1-Paranoid-Distortion?sku=153060

Hope to have my own by the beginning of Jan '08 !

Good Luck

;)

• Members

i just bought a Tube Zone yesterday. i think it made my Mesa Subway Rocket obsolete.

i tried the metal muffs, and came to the same conclusion. there's just something fake about them. the z-vex box of metal actually had too much gain.

i still own a RAT. it can't do what the tube zone can. neither can the DS-1 or box of rock.

I have a Tube Zone and also have a Keeley 3-way modded Turbo Rat. Nice combination.

Archived