Pickup Swap

bluehuricane

• Members

alright, i just got my hamer standard explorer last night, alder body, plays great but the pickups are such muffled {censored}. what can i drop in it? i was thinking about a sd JB until i read that they aren't great in alder guitars or even clean for that matter. i want something i can coil tap and something that taps well. i play metal/classicish rock, it'd be nice if they had a passable clean tone too. any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Members

Check out BG-pups.com

For T3H BROO TALS get the Hellabucker.

For classic rock, maybe the smoke stacks or the BG Bucker. I ordered a BG Bucker and it'll be on its way in a bit.

For the best for the money, get a pair of Voodoo '60s. Best out there. Really.

• Members

alright, i just got my hamer standard explorer last night, alder body, plays great but the pickups are such muffled {censored}. what can i drop in it? i was thinking about a sd JB until i read that they aren't great in alder guitars or even clean for that matter. i want something i can coil tap and something that taps well. i play metal/classicish rock, it'd be nice if they had a passable clean tone too. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmmm, I thought the Hamer Standard was made of mahogany. Anyways, I've found that, generally speaking, hotter humbuckers sound better split (I'm pretty sure you mean split, not tapped) but they don't work as well for clean tones. Yet the lower output buckers will sound better clean, but give a weaker, less convincing split (singlecoil) tone. So you kinda have to pick your poison here.

Here's my suggestion. If you find both pickups like "muffled {censored}," just replace both. Put a hotter one in the bridge (which will work good with distorted metal tones, and also give a good split tone), and a weaker one in the neck (which will work good for clean humbucking tones, and nice fat solo sounds). I have alot of experience with DiMarzios so thats what I'll reccomend. If you want something less piercing than the JB in the bridge but still splits well, I'd go with a Breed bridge, ToneZone, Norton, or AirZone. For the neck, you have lots of choices: Paf Pro, Virtual Paf, Air Norton, or just look on the Dimarzio website and pick any lower-meduim, or low output humbucker. I find their descriptions to be pretty accurate.

• Members

^i agree with what you're saying, i actually have a humbucker sized p90 in the mail for the neck, i'm excited for that. and thank you for correcting me, i did mean split. i'll check out dimarzio. thank you :-d, oh and it's not an american hamer, the import ones are alder, based on all of the info i can find online.

• Members

ive always been a gibson pup player, then when i bought a couple seymour duncans to check out why so many people use them. i put a sd distortion in a super cheap hamer i bought and a sd custom in my prs singlecut (korean).

i just dont like the tone of duncans. theyre very midrangey.

ive got a gibson 498T and a gibson burstbucker pro in som other guitars and much prefer them. the burstbuckers use some vintage crap that makes them virtually unusable in a live situation, but the 498T is my favorite pickup ive ever played. great for heavy stuff and sounds really good clean.

check out the 498T.:)

Archived