Analog vs. digital?

Destructobot

• Members

Yeah I had to change that avatar, it was kinda funny but it had racist overtones to it which I didn't like. Good rock-n-roll karma for ID'ing the new one!

I've got a bunch of delays coming in the mail; ad-900, dmm, and my newly-updated ekko 600. I'm going to try doing a nice comparison of all these with video clips. Ad-900 and ekko seem similar, so I'll focus on comparing them directly, and of course the RE-201 and RE-20 will go head to tape-head. I've got a feeling the Ekko and RE-20 might both be winners IMO for the same reasons: smaller size, conventional power supplies, and exp. pedal jacks. The DMM is the odd man out, I only picked one up because I kinda regret selling mine and found a great price on one. I almost grabbed a SMMH for $165 of CL, but the guy flaked out on me somehow, he made it sound like I was first in line and then never emailed back. Would have been cool to throw that in the mix....

Good thing Thanksgiving break is coming, because this is going to take a while.

• Members

That pic makes it look a little better than it really is. There's a decent scratch on the faceplate, the faceplate is coming unglued at the corners, and there's a couple nicks in the tolex. Overall it's pretty good though.

Just played with the RE-20 for 20 minutes or so. It's good, I mean really, really good. Anyone out there who's worried about it "sounding digital" can put those worries to rest, Boss put together a very good algorithm here. The only thing that made me really notice the digitalness of it is when switching between delay modes. On the re-201, the signal is recorded on the tape and switching modes just turns the various tape heads on and off. Nothing you do with the controls affects what's already on the tape, and the only way anything gets removed from the loop is by passing over the erase head repeatedly. With the re-20, if you switch it to totally off (6 o'clock on the dial) you lose whatever was echoing completely.

This can be a burden or a benefit, depending on your point of view. I've had moments with the RE-201 where I played something really, really loud into it or let the self-oscillation get totally out of control and ended up with a sound on the tape that stuck around for a few minutes as it gradually got erased and recorded over. That can be really cool at the right time, or really annoying, depends on what you're trying to do with it.

Bypassed signal sounds pretty good, although I didn't compare it with direct. Tap tempo is slick, your tapped time is applied to the slowest echo setting and the faster modes are incrementally quicker. Pitch bending with the delay time knob sounds very natural and the self-oscillation decays into that nice high-pass filter sound just like the real thing. This is one place where normal BBD delays are totally different, they oscillate with a gradual low-pass filtering type sound. Aw shucks....I'm ramblin :blah:

I'll update this later with schtuff

• Members

I probably would too, but that outprices the RE-201 by a bit (unless it's a museum-perfect one) and the RE-20 by a mile!

Personally, the delay of my dreams is probably the original SIB echodrive, but those never come up for sale and would probably go for over $700 if one did.

• 1 month later...

Archived