Russian Big Muff - Is it different enough to use even with a NYC Big Muff?

Noise...

• Members

I already have a NYC Big Muff, but I know that the Russian version is a bit different.

But, is it different enough to have on the same board as a NYC Big Muff? I tried to find clips or videos that compare the two, but none that I found did it well enough for me to really see how different they are.

So, are they that different that there's reason to own both?

• Members
I've had a black russian muff and the NYC reissue. I'd stick with the NYC version and forget about the russian muffs. Maybe look at a double muff or something different.

I already have the Double-muff. Great pedal. :thu:

I'd like to just forget about the Russian version, but I can't. I keep thinking that it may give a different type of Big Muff sound.

Does it give a different type of fuzz than the NYC version?

• Members
I already have the Double-muff. Great pedal.
:thu:

I'd like to just forget about the Russian version, but I can't. I keep thinking that it may give a different type of Big Muff sound.

Does it give a different type of fuzz than the NYC version?

This is probably not the best explanation of the difference, but to my ears anyway, the russian muff sounded 'thumpier' or 'wooley'? :confused: I ended up running a TS9 in front of it to give it a bit more bite and cut through. The NYC just sounds more like I expected a muff to sound like, fuzzy, but with a bit of definition.

Sorry if that sounds a little vague, but it's difficult to describe. Also, the russian muff i had wasn't true bypass and I noticed the effect on my clean tone when the pedal was off (it cut the high end a bit).

• Members
This is probably not the best explanation of the difference, but to my ears anyway, the russian muff sounded 'thumpier' or 'wooley'?
:confused:
I ended up running a TS9 in front of it to give it a bit more bite and cut through. The NYC just sounds more like I expected a muff to sound like, fuzzy, but with a bit of definition.

Sorry if that sounds a little vague, but it's difficult to describe. Also, the russian muff i had wasn't true bypass and I noticed the effect on my clean tone when the pedal was off (it cut the high end a bit).

Ah - very good to know. I've never gotten a clear answer on if they're true-bypass or not. I've heard some people say they have true-bypass, others say they had a good buffered bypass, and a few that said they had a really bad buffer. :idk:

Thanks for the review.

• Members

No problem. Yeah there are a lot of people who don't like it, but ot's probably tied wth my Blues Driver for my favorite pedal. :D

It can handle Hendrix, White Stripes, Stones, and pretty much anything else I throw at it. I heard it on one of my favorite guitarists board and knew I needed it. It's indespensable.

PS: Just thought I'd let you know, mine is completely transparent, seems true bypass.

• Members
:lol:

Hardly. It is very in your face with the right settings, but it could be made wooly with the right settings.

right settings? hows sustain on full(i always have sustain on full) and tone around 9-11 oclock? this is as thick and fuzz as it gets and it aint enough imo.

you must understand tho i use two woolly mammoths on at the same time.
one big muff ,even a nyc isnt enough fuzz.

a fuzz factory and woolly mammoth is,two wm are,a BMP and ffct is, and a BMP and a wm is.
im not one of these fuzz on 9 oclock,guitar volume turned down wanks, i like it all on max and THICK!

• Members

:idk:

I think I'm a bit over my gas for the Russian version.

I played with my NYC version a LOT yesterday, with all sorts of settings, and I really don't think any other fuzz pedal will come close to it. I'm pretty satisfied now.

At least for Big Muff-type fuzz - Reverb and delay are what I want now. :D

Archived